• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Beekeeping Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Honey Buckets.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dpearce4

Queen Bee
Beekeeping Sponsor
Reaction score
Hive Type
Commercial
Number of Hives
a few more than last year but still not enough
Hi

i know that the usual places do 30lb honey buckets but are there any other companies that a member may have used that they could recomend to me please.

i am thinking ahead to this summer, i dont have any at present and want to look at all my options before having to go out and buy in an emergency.

if people dont want to post company names because of not wanting to be accused of being commercial, could they PM me details of them please.

I am probly going to need approx 20 maybe more.

all ile say is buy some good ones i know someone that last week the handle gave way //// 30lb of honey on the floor

Chatting up your local bakery may be a very smart move. ;)

When I used buckets, and believe me I had a lot of them about 10 were "official" ones the rest were from bakers.

It also seriously and literally pays to invest in a bucket rest, and a stiff spatula to get that all important last dribble out.

PH

Last edited:
Agree with PH.

Local bakery will have used food grade tubs and a supply of fondant. Buy Fondant, bargain for tubs!!!

Agree with PolyHive and luckydunny. Mine come from a local bakery firm but make sure that none contained mint chocolate fondant or similar as it WILL permeate the honey making it unsaleable - other than for cooking perhaps.

For 10 or more a 30lb honey bucket from Big T is £3.33 + vat.
Bearing in mind that FSA will probably advise to use new to avoid risk of contamination I can't see the point of faffing about buckets that have been used to store goods other than honey.

The value of the honey in the bucket alone far outweighs the cost of a new one and can be re-used time and again.

If the reuse of glass containers isn't allowed because of the worry about leakage of chemicals I am amazed that the reuse of plastic, (which seems to hold smells and tastes) is allowed.

If the reuse of glass containers isn't allowed because of the worry about leakage of chemicals I am amazed that the reuse of plastic, (which seems to hold smells and tastes) is allowed.

This is NOT a National policy...you need to ask your Trading Standards whether they allow reuse (with new lids).

In Germany all honey jars have a deposit on them (for reuse) AFAIK, certainly in Bavaria so it ain't Euro-regs either.

With the honey buckets, get good ones and use a big food grade plastic bag inside - haven't tried it yet but supposed to work.

This is NOT a National policy...you need to ask your Trading Standards whether they allow reuse (with new lids).

That is NOT what the food standards agency says.

I quote here from a very long reply which i will copy and paste if you wish.

European Regulation 1935/2004 which specifies the requirement that food contact materials and articles must be manufactured so as not to allow their constituents to migrate into food in quantities that could harm consumers or affect the nature or quality of the food. Article 3 of this Regulation

and

It is important to ensure that the manufacturer or supplier of the packaging can confirm by means of documentation or certification that their products meet the requirements of the legislation and that it is safe for contact with food.

To cut a long story short basically unless you can show the documentation which says the glass complies with the regs it is illegal.

I can PM you the email address of Vincent Greenwood of the food standards agency if you would like to take it up with him.

In Germany all honey jars have a deposit on them (for reuse) AFAIK, certainly in Bavaria so it ain't Euro-regs either.

Can't comment on Germany I have no experience over there perhaps their manufacturers can supply the required tests and documentary evidence.

I dont think it has anything to do with leakage of chemicals from the glass it is to do with the jars not being designed for re-use.

Last edited:
I dont think it has anything to do with leakage of chemicals from the glass it is to do with the jars not being designed for re-use.

Vincent Greenwood makes it clear that leakage of chemicals is part of the problem. It will help to understand the quote if you know I queried why I could return my milk bottles (yes we still do have a door step delivery in glass bottles) but Honey jars couldn't be reused.

Incidentally he refers to them as Jam jars throughout the reply.

He says.....

Though the common perception is that glass is only in one form, there are many types and grades of glass, with varying chemical constituents and properties, some of which may be suitable for one use, but not another. With regards milk bottles the glass is of a type which would not leach anything into milk, and is resistant to degrading with multiple washings and mechanically robust to avoid damage, it is tested and found compliant with these conditions under Regulation 1935/2004. Milk bottles form a “closed loop system” with daily door step deliveries/collections, in that that they are used only for milk, and the dairies have systems in place to ensure returned bottles are fit for reuse.

Preserve jars do not form such a closed loop distribution system, in that the jars are not returned within a few days and therefore carry the food for a far longer period.

This is exactly the problem: in an adjacent county Trading Standards permit reuse - because that is what they have been told. In Germany the jars are NOT accompanied by documentation to say whether they can or can't be BUT are reused because they have a deposit on them.

And yes please, I spent ages trying to get this straight for the honey exam including ploughing my way through the statutey stuff. My notes still say "glass?".

honey jars are designed for honey so should not leach into it but not designed to be re-used

honey jars are designed for honey so should not leach into it but not designed to be re-used

The point seems to be that there is the technical possibility that after repeated washes etc if the glass hasn't been designed for this there is the possibility of leaching. Otherwise they could be reused. All it seems to need is for the manufacturers to be able to prove they are of a type of glass which can be reused.

Makes one wonder if it is even safe to warm jars with honey in,as this may cause the glass to leach out this toxic substance,whatever it is. Is it also safe to wash the new jars, before using them for honey.

just buy some new ones, stop being tight sods, VEG, how many do you need? 20 or more, 30, 100? I am shortly going to order several hundred so could tag some on.

this is food production for goodness sake and if you have think 'hmmm will this taint honey' then don't do it, buy some nice quality buckets that will last many years - no reusing please from other industries.

environmental health would be interested if I told them we took food grade buckets from a third party and then washed them ready to use ourselves, in the same way they are not be too pleased to see second hand jars (pickles onions and beyond) being used for selling honey on the shelves - and ppl do this, yes I have photos.

buy some nice new ones VEG.

JezD

Last edited:
just buy some new ones, stop being tight sods, VEG, how many do you need? 20 or more, 30, 100? I am shortly going to order several hundred so could tag some on.

this is food production for goodness sake and if you have think 'hmmm will this taint honey' then don't do it, buy some nice quality buckets that will last many years - no reusing please from other industries.

environmental health would be interested if I told them we took food grade buckets from a third party and then washed them ready to use ourselves, in the same way they are not be too pleased to see second hand jars (pickles onions and beyond) being used for selling honey on the shelves - and ppl do this, yes I have photos.

buy some nice new ones VEG.

JezD

i have plenty of jars when did I say I was re using them???

I didnt so dont accuse me of doing it

Back