Honey Bees entering Cavity Wall

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tiiimmm

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Hi Gentleman,
Apologies for asking for advice on a recurring topic but I have scrolled through past postings and just have a few questions about what I have read. Following my neighbour saying that her dog was being bothered by several bees whilst outside upon investigation I have found a hole hidden behind a bush that was not sealed with mortar when I had cavity wall insulation put in last year and have now seen a few honey bees entering and leaving . There does not seem to be massive numbers so I am unsure what to do. Is it likely to be one or two bees investigating a new home or are they likely to have swarmed there unnoticed? I obviously would like to nip any potential problem in the bud but the cavity wall scenario from past posts looks difficult. Is it early enough in the year to somehow undergo damage limitation to the problem. The hole wasn't there before last year so I would think it's recent activity. Any advice would be gratefully received. Many thanks.

First question ... Are you absolutely sure they are honey bees ?

Sorry to ask but there's a lot of bees (and wasps) that find cavity walls attractive but honey bees tend to like a slightly larger space generally ... unless they have access to a much larger space than the gap between the inner and outer walls.

Hi. Thank you for your reply. I have tried to match what I saw to bee species pics on the web, (it's definitely bee rather than wasp), so I could be wrong but have tried to research it the best I could so I suppose all I can honestly say is that it is an educated guess!

agreed, could well be solitary bees... if they are honeybees then likely just scouts so sealing up the hole will solve the problem. Best to check if they are going in and out with pollen on their back legs before acting though. Some photos may help.

After a nerve wracking 20 minutes I think I may stand corrected in that it is more likely to be bumble bees. Not taken the best photos but it was when a very large bee bumbled out and scared me half to death that I definitely changed my mind! In that 20 mins about 5 smaller bees emerged and about 4 flew back in so it does seem to have a little more activity now.

Best bet is to leave them to their own devices they will all be gone by the Autumn. Bumbles don't build up large colonies & are non belligerent unless soundly provoked

From the images, they look like tree bumbles (the new species that was introduced about 10 years or so ago and sometimes called the new garden bumble). If they are Tree Bumbles, unlike our native bumble bee, they do tend to be a little more defensive around the nest but still shouldn't be a major issue if left alone. The biggest the nest will get at their height is around 200-300 individuals but most will be in the nest or out foraging, and they will be gone come October(ish).

I love watching bumbles. They are beautiful little creatures so take it for what it is....a gift..

Last edited:
Thank you all for your advice. Feel a little more reassured now it appears to be a bumble. Wasn't so much worried about the risk of being stung outside but the potential of damage to the house and large numbers finding their way inside as an ongoing problem. Happy to let them go about their business even if they do make me jump at times!

They tend not to reinhabit the same nest in the following year but another colony could ... whilst they are unlikely to do any damage to your house structure if you don't want another colony next year then best block up the hole in the autumn after they have all gone .... or, you may get fascinated and look forward to seeing some again next year !

I once went to a big posh house. They had reported a 'bee problem' to the Local Council. I had hoped that they would be rather enlightened when it came to bees. Cutting a long story short, I got there and one of them said that 'They had been stung'. And I said 'What do you bleedin expect if you stick a sock in their hole?' They were only bumble bees nesting in a wall cavity.

I once went to a big posh house. They had reported a 'bee problem' to the Local Council. I had hoped that they would be rather enlightened when it came to bees. Cutting a long story short, I got there and one of them said that 'They had been stung'. And I said 'What do you bleedin expect if you stick a sock in their hole?' They were only bumble bees nesting in a wall cavity.

they dont like it up'im i tells ya.

made me smile that one.

Back