Hives on Fleabay

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Changed my mind? No, I am going to get one and try it out. Thoroughly clean, flame, steam and bleach and then steam again probably and see how it goes.

Got to get used to doing it any way, so it will be useful practice.

Surely I can go over them with a blow torch and then clean them with my steamer.

If AFB is found in hives in New Zealand burning to destructon is mandatory.

The reason is beekeepers have been found to do a poor job of sterilising or blowtorching them.

AFB is spread by beekeepers is the mantra.

To the harpic + bleach poster:

The chlorine gas is the subject of Dulce et decorum pro patria mori at

this site

Last edited:
AFB= Bees destroyed by inspector, then a hole is dug & bees + frames put in and burned then filled in, the brood box, floor, supers & crown board all scorched & scraped clean.
Job done

With EFB its usually different depending on the magnitude of the infection time of year & the beekeepers wishes.

Exactly! the bees + Frames are distroyed + burned, the hive body is scorched. I have performed this operation many times.
Regards

Beeinspector

Unless of course the hive is plastic or poly,then they they are just washed in sterilising solution,seems unclear though from some sources.

Last edited:
Unless of course the hive is plastic or poly,then they they are just washed in sterilising solution,seems unclear though from some sources.

Yes, That's correct, plastic cannot be scorched, hives of this type would be disinfected.

Thank you B I......and what about plastic frames and plastic foundation,when drawn out ,and afb is found. Don't think it's legal to burn plastic,interesting to see if your version is different from another i've been told by Richard Ball.

Last edited:
Fires are indeed covered by legislation including the clean air act 1993, the environmental protection act 1990 and the highways act 1980, synthetic materials such as certain plastic hives could produce toxic fumes when burned & such materials could be sent to the NBU for safe disposal, when this situation arises (I'm fairly confident that it will at sometime) any action taken by the inspector would be under the supervision of his/her superior.

Interested to know Richard Ball's response & hope he's enjoying his retirement. :)

Did anyone manage to get to pick up any of the hives this weekend?

Did anyone manage to get to pick up any of the hives this weekend?

no!!! most annoyed, due to snow here in Wakefield did not want to risk a drive over to Driffield. If we dont get any more snow I will hopefully be going mid week.

Just spotted these, used to live near that place.

Need to get over to driffield for my fondant so might try and arrange a viewing.

Changed my mind? No, I am going to get one and try it out. Thoroughly clean, flame, steam and bleach and then steam again probably and see how it goes.

Got to get used to doing it any way, so it will be useful practice.
tried the ad on fleabay where he was advertising 'bulk wax' for sale. Asked question because ad was for ONE hex block @ £5.00. Reply was that this meant I should not bid on it!! Reported to e-bay as this in breach of selling rules.

Last edited:
ok received one of my two hives today,,,as u can see it has come well wrapped ,,the paint he has touched it up with smells like creosote but I’m sure it will be fine...roofs fibreglass brood box 2 supers queen excluder crown board and all frames inside I can’t be more impressed for £50 pounds delivered! I believe it’s his son putting items on eBay for him but great contact all the way though sale:party:

yep got mine today same ass above needs a really gud clean inside hives but for £50 delivered its a gud buy. those who do not like cleaning hives DONT buy

I am happy with my Hive

Andy:seeya:

broandy did u get feeder or is it something i have not noticed inside of hive ?

Latest posts

Back