Hives on Fleabay

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Spinger just stick your head down and put da boot in lol
Like it, but its a new relationship for me, so its a case of, nice manners !, behaving, going with the flow, accommodating, understanding, patient, keeping quiet, etc.
I'll soon find my feet, ask Mrs. S. lol:laughing-smiley-014

I agree, i have had a bit of a chat with the chap via email and he is completely open about the whole situation and condition of the kit, yes his spelling is bad but hey none of us are perfect, for £50 delivered they are a bargain for anyone with some spare time to properly clean and repair any of the potential faults, anyone who reports such a minor discrepency really needs to get over themselves. He is selling the wax at a pretty reasonable price as well if you ask him.

C B
The whole point of e-bay is that it is based on HONESTY and TRUST. Sellers who admit to using 'tricks' and those who think I should complain about e-bay fees, or say either 'bid or don't', ( I didn't ) should maybe look for another avenue for their online sales?

Hi Lewis
Received my hive and supers ,cannot fault you many thanks.Toying with buying another!!!
Mick

hi mick

glad your pleased with your hive

thay are selling thick and fast now so come one guys thay wont be around at this price for long!

e-mail me if you have eny questions

[email protected]

rgrds lewis..

Lewis do u have a name for the type of feeders that come with your hives so i can look them up m8

hi mick

glad your pleased with your hive

thay are selling thick and fast now so come one guys thay wont be around at this price for long!

e-mail me if you have eny questions

[email protected]

rgrds lewis..
Hi Lewis,

Have sent you an email with regard to the National brood bodies...are they normal National size or National 14x12?

Many thanks,

Mark.

I have the same question - new beekeeper, don't want to buy the wrong size bb! want to keep them all 14 x 12.
thanks
Nick

I have the same question - new beekeeper, don't want to buy the wrong size bb! want to keep them all 14 x 12.
thanks
Nick
Todays NEWBEE! HA! I am in northern Missouri and am starting to look at a few hive to start this spring and have no idea how to start???Dadant,Langstroth,National,Commercial,Warre,Bee Haus,wbc, Help!!!!!!!! An old guy with a young heart,Macbee

Todays NEWBEE! HA! I am in northern Missouri and am starting to look at a few hive to start this spring and have no idea how to start???Dadant,Langstroth,National,Commercial,Warre,Bee Haus,wbc, Help!!!!!!!! An old guy with a young heart,Macbee

I think your choice of hive will depend on several factors when starting out

• How will you aquire your bees, if boxed bees and a caged queen then no issue (same goes for swarms and bait hives), if a nuc then it is a factor because the frames must match your gear.
  • What do locals tend to use? there could be a good reason for their choice.
  • Relative cost (and availability) of hive types down your way
  • Bee strain kept and their brood space requirements
  • Relative availability of other equip for that frame size e.g. honey extractor
If you have a local bee group / organisation then that is probably always the best starting point for these types of questions.

Good luck. R

The whole point of e-bay is that it is based on HONESTY and TRUST. Sellers who admit to using 'tricks' and those who think I should complain about e-bay fees, or say either 'bid or don't', ( I didn't ) should maybe look for another avenue for their online sales?

as a buyer on ebay you are pretty well covered for any problems..

I think your choice of hive will depend on several factors when starting out

• How will you aquire your bees, if boxed bees and a caged queen then no issue (same goes for swarms and bait hives), if a nuc then it is a factor because the frames must match your gear.
  • What do locals tend to use? there could be a good reason for their choice.
  • Relative cost (and availability) of hive types down your way
  • Bee strain kept and their brood space requirements
  • Relative availability of other equip for that frame size e.g. honey extractor
If you have a local bee group / organisation then that is probably always the best starting point for these types of questions.

Good luck. R
R,thanks for the great thought provoking questions!No one around here I know of has bees,I have read that a smaller brood chamber is much better for varola mite control,down to 4.9 and was looking at Warre hive with starting with modified with 4.9 foundation to get the bee size down and the straght Warre?Thanks! MacBee

as a buyer on ebay you are pretty well covered for any problems..

But that then has become a problem for sellers, as buyers get all the backing so can claim they did not recieve XYorZ and get their money back.

Sellers can not even leave negative feedback anymore, but buyers can:smash:

Ebay is just another shop, not of its orginal concept..but thats progress?, even Th**nes list on it...at higher prices than if you buy direct from them! And people pay them prices.

But I can not complain, I sell some great stuff on ebay...earns a bit of foundation money for me.

But that then has become a problem for sellers, as buyers get all the backing so can claim they did not recieve XYorZ and get their money back.

Its not a problem.... Just send stuff recorded delivery.

With reference to the 'Have I made a mistake?' thread and looking back at some of the supposed facts here I am still of the opinion of 'buyer beware'.

Sure, there is support for the guy, but of him, as a fleabay seller, I am not so sure. I would be very specific in what I ordered. The references to knowing nothing about a '14 x 12' by someone selling 400 hives rang the alarm bells for me. The poster of that information may have made a mistake, I post here a few extracts from previous posts, so potential buyers, make up their own mind.

Originally Posted by broandy
Beeswax bidding from £ 5 per ounce wow Am selling my beeswax for £4.50 now
--------
DEFINITELY......... collect, my wurd there is some rubbish on fleabuy
--------
Originally Posted by onriver
If this is / was a commercial enterprise in Driffield he must be known to someone out there who might shed light on why he has 400 empty hives and whether disease was a factor?
----------
In an email to me he said he was retiring, hence the need to get rid.

Of course, there may have been a catalyst...
--------
I thought i should stick up for this guy a bit as he seems totally legit to me. He is putting the information on ebay but the hives are from a commercial outfit that his dad ran. They used to have a lot of hives that they moved about on between the North Yorkshire moors and Lincolnshire but as his dad has got older they have cut down to the 80 or so hives that they keep at the farm. They run 'bee health' which sells imported propolis.
-----------
They have mainly commercials and deep nationals from what he said.
----------
tried the ad on fleabay where he was advertising 'bulk wax' for sale. Asked question because ad was for ONE hex block @ £5.00. Reply was that this meant I should not bid on it!! Reported to e-bay as this in breach of selling rules.
----------
fox better get yor hive out side it will stick the house out wit the smell of creosote
----------
This a a well used "trick" by sellers, and I have also used it.
----------
3 comercial brood boxes
3 roofs
6 supers
3 ashley feeders
20+ 14×12 foundation
and 3 slotted framed QE
------------
Have sent you an email with regard to the National brood bodies...are they normal National size or National 14x12?

(my note - 14 x12 frames here????)

Regards, RAB

Latest posts

Back