Hives on Fleabay

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've only the 4 and I'm new but I don't understand the practicalities - how do you get rid of 400 colonies of bees without anybody noticing? were they bought without the hives? were they all killed off? did they just head off?

Don't treat them for varroa would be a good start......but there could be any amount of reasons,perhaps it would be best if you e mail him and ask, if you wish to know.

Last edited:
I had thought a dip in bleach would remove more or less anything and reduce the risk of disease.

psafloyd,

So you have changed your mind? AFB is known to be resistant to Virkon and simple bleach treatment.

Regards, RAB

Changed my mind? No, I am going to get one and try it out. Thoroughly clean, flame, steam and bleach and then steam again probably and see how it goes.

Got to get used to doing it any way, so it will be useful practice.

Soda might be better than bleach. Or Harpic.

Soda might be better than bleach. Or Harpic.

Do you mean washing or caustic soda?

I was intending to use a heavy duty thick bleach, like a Harpic.

Washing soda.

Dont know what you can buy in the way of caustic type chemicals nowadays.

Harpic toilet cleaner.

Harpic?
You must be clean around the bend...

Caustic soda would work or a strong solution of bleach - at least 10%. This will kill of AFB spores if you soak it for 20 minutes. Virkon S does not kill AFB spores. Neither will steam - you need about 120C for several minutes if you want to use heat.

A good clean in caustic soda will strip off lots of wax, propolis and paint so would probably be the best. It will work very well if the water is hot but wear a full face mask otherwise the fumes will do interesting things to your face.

Harpic?
You must be clean around the bend...

You never tried it for cleaning copper and brass? Quite potent stuff..... Mix it with bleach and it doesnt do unsocialable conifers a lot of good either....

Harpic contains hydrochloric acid. If you mix it with bleach it gives off chlorine gas - which might be good for cleaning hives but I wouldn't recommend it.

The only sureway would bee to AUTOCLAVE them... see my thredd on autoclaving !

Kills all known germs completely dead..... also kills all spores etc etc

but although autoclaving denatures proteins ... skool is still out on if autoclaving removes the CJD protein vector???...
That,s why dentists use new tools probes etc to do deep root canal fillings, and surgery is costing the NHS so much more!!
PRECAUTIONATY PRINCIPLE !!!!

Last edited:
The only sureway would bee to AUTOCLAVE them... see my thredd on autoclaving !

Kills all known germs completely dead..... also kills all spores etc etc

but although autoclaving denatures proteins ... skool is still out on if autoclaving removes the CJD protein vector???...
That,s why dentists use new tools probes etc to do deep root canal fillings, and surgery is costing the NHS so much more!!
PRECAUTIONATY PRINCIPLE !!!!

I'm just off to get a root canal
Oh deep joy

I've just seen that the ebay add has been revised......

also avilible are

metal roofs at £3

wood and fiberglass roofs at £3

queen excluders at £1

crown board at £2

floor board at £4 nationel shallow with combs at £5

nationel deep with combs at £10

commercial box with comes at £20

email me for postage costs on all these

and for you on beekeepingforum dont worry about diesease!! these are genuine hives your welcome to come view them if your unshure

p.s sorry about the spelling aswell ebay spell check dosent work!!! ;)

aww, bless! :biggrinjester:

If we were in the good old US of A, these boxes could be sterilised by irradiation with gamma rays. That is the way several of the larger operators do it. Not sure if it is viable for smaller jobs out there, but is an option. Maybe not clean, but certainly sterile!

I have not heard of any radiation sterilisers in the UK (for this sort of thing). Irradiated foodstuffs which do not decay as quickly are relatively commonplace(?), as are things like hospital theatre articles, drips and some dressings (honey ones, in particular) and other small high value items .

Regards, RAB

If we were in the good old US of A, these boxes could be sterilised by irradiation with gamma rays. That is the way several of the larger operators do it. Not sure if it is viable for smaller jobs out there, but is an option. Maybe not clean, but certainly sterile!

I have not heard of any radiation sterilisers in the UK (for this sort of thing). Irradiated foodstuffs which do not decay as quickly are relatively commonplace(?), as are things like hospital theatre articles, drips and some dressings (honey ones, in particular) and other small high value items .

Regards, RAB

Wash them in the sea off of Hinkley Point!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:smilielol5:

Wash them in the sea off of Hinkley Point!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:smilielol5:

Tried it, doesn't work they just turned blue! When the new one's are built it may then!:hurray:

been in touch with this bloke he seems very friendly iv purchased one and after reading sum posts im going see if i can get my hands on sum nuclear waste and steep them in that :rofl:

Latest posts

Back