Hives on Fleabay

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I dont think its always a matter of bad spelling,, I find its the dyslexic fingers that want to work too quickly.

No such thing as dyslexic when i went to school, just thick and i was top of the class :D

but although autoclaving denatures proteins ... skool is still out on if autoclaving removes the CJD protein vector???...
That,s why dentists use new tools probes etc to do deep root canal fillings, and surgery is costing the NHS so much more!!
PRECAUTIONATY PRINCIPLE !!!![/QUOTE]

Autoclaving doesn't necessarily get rid of the CJD/nvCJD prion - and dentists have been excluded from most of the new decontamination regulations in recent years as most dental work has been deemed to be much lower risk than surgery in other fields.

An elite club of dyslexic berks (sorry, the spoilcheck just told me that should say beeks).
:iamwithstupid: or that's what the junior school said.
I went for the 'I'm just bad at spelling' reasoning, because that's what it was when I was at school. My wife did a test on me some years ago that they use on 11 year olds at her school and then triumphantly said 'I told you, you were' when I failed it! I didn't get a badge, prize or anything though :)
I am a mild case so with word processors, spell checks etc it make little diff now for written comms, just takes a while to read things and I use visual memory methods, I do get good value out of paperbacks!

What a real beekeeper would do.

At those prices its worth buying the lot, scorching the woodwork, rendering down the comb to trade in and taking them to the various auctions around the country next season.
You could even save a few and use them instead of those ridiculous top bar hives.

Best way to sterilise them would be to boil in caustic soda.

Caustic soda or washing soda?

If the former (drain cleaner), at what proportions soda crystals to water please?

I am perhaps cautious, because often caustic soda and washing soda are used synonimously, with potentially catastrophic consequences for the unwary.

If indeed you said what you mean, please forgive my note of caution.

Indeed you appear to have the credentials at 100+ colonies.

I thought i should stick up for this guy a bit as he seems totally legit to me. He is putting the information on ebay but the hives are from a commercial outfit that his dad ran. They used to have a lot of hives that they moved about on between the North Yorkshire moors and Lincolnshire but as his dad has got older they have cut down to the 80 or so hives that they keep at the farm. They run 'bee health' which sells imported propolis. The father is called Steve Ryan he is sure some of the older members of the forum will have heard of him. He gave a lecture at the National Honey Show in November on propolis, ook him up if you are worried. If anyone wants direct contact details to speak to them them pm me and you can have email or a phone number.

or email the seller through ebay. I have emailed him and he is prompt, civil and helpful, as you would want and just like most bee keepers really.

I am going over at the weekend to take a look and maybe/hopefully make some purchases.

Yes, I did mean caustic soda and the other comment is correct use two 45 gallon barrels, top cut off, warm clean water for rinsing in one, the other for boiling with caustic, I did approx. 30 complete hives + Frames January last year, knee deep in snow great job..not.
Be sure to ware goggles & rubber gloves, although after a while you will get holes in the gloves, and the wax/propolis caustic mix does wonders for making your hands go yellow, look like a 100 a day man.
I know Steve Ryan & the bloke seems ok although I don't know his son, so long as you boil the parts as mentioned and do not use any old wax or leave it lying around for the bees to rummage through in spring, you should be ok.

Regards

They have been in store for more than a year and so his son is cleaning them up and getting rid of the useless ones and then dealing with the ebay stuff for him. I will be buying some for sure. A lot of them are cedar and they will sell the boxes without frames. They have mainly commercials and deep nationals from what he said. Most of them have a deep roof and some are fibreglass rather than metal.

now I feel guilty! I asked the questions because I couldn't see how on earth someone could come up with 400 recently vacated hives :)
If there's a good and transparent reason then I'm pleased to see it broadcast here.
just wish I had the cash to buy some.... tho would prefer some one size boxes - any going spare?

Many thanks for the clarification Beeinspector.

Yes thank you, my initial scepticism has been abated.

However, as I'm on 14 x 12's I would only need supers & roofs; I have already purchased some spare supers and some ply to make my own broods for this year. I don't think it would pay me to make the 3hr round trip. If I was nearer and I thought I could sneak it past SWMBO maybe? :)

Latest posts

Back