Hives on Fleabay

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dont knock some one for not being able to spell well. We all have different skills.

As for the hives. They do seem a reasonable deal if they are the type you use. They are located at Driffield, East Yorkshire. If I wanted some then they would well be worth a drive over. I think I would want to see some first or at least see feed back from some one who has bought them before I made a purchase. I would hope they are cedar hives to. I would steam clean them if I bought some.

Dont knock some one for not being able to spell well. We all have different skills.

Now, if this was one of those forums that have a 'THANKS' button so that the members can acknowledge useful/interesting/kind posts, I'd definitely be pressing it now.

Well said.

Thanks,
Roland

Why is that, please?

Psafloyd

Well my opinion is I would not take the risk from a disease perspective. In addition I would have to spend money on treatments and spend time and effort flaming the entire inside of every component. Then there is still no guarantee I'd eliminate all traces if any diseases existed. This all assumes they are worst case which they may not be. So I refer back to my original post.

Everyone is entitled to there opinion and the risks they chose to take, or not.

Marc

Sorry rant is not over yet.

I wanted to add that if anyone setup an incorrectly sterilised hive near me and the worst happened and I lost hives because of AFB/EFB then I'd be pretty peeved off at that.

Does anyone know how you stand insurance wise if you incorrectly sterilise and use infected equipment?

Psafloyd

Well my opinion is I would not take the risk from a disease perspective. In addition I would have to spend money on treatments and spend time and effort flaming the entire inside of every component. ( cheap skate )Then there is still no guarantee I'd eliminate all traces if any diseases existed. This all assumes they are worst case which they may not be. So I refer back to my original post.

Everyone is entitled to there opinion and the risks they chose to take, or not.

Marc

Marc
Do you not flame the inside of your hives every year

I dont think its always a matter of bad spelling,, I find its the dyslexic fingers that want to work too quickly.

I dont think its always a matter of bad spelling,, I find its the dyslexic fingers that want to work too quickly.

agree, I have got worse at spelling and grammar since I started typing

writing with a pen, I find i do not make spelling mistakes, must be because typing in a newly acquired function in my ageing brain

{no not a quill pen,not that old but I was ink monitor at school when we have dip pens in the infants school circa 1955l}

Last edited:
Surely I can go over them with a blow torch and then clean them with my steamer.

Surely I can go over them with a blow torch and then clean them with my steamer.

They will be as good or as bad as any other second-hand equipment, so it is your personal choice whether to take CHANCE ON AFB or EFB

by torching, and steaming you minimise the possibility of afb/efb but like all second equipment or shared equipment it is always there

AFB is less likely ulness you are unlucky but EFB is endemic in some set ups, so wash them in bleach as well

If this is / was a commercial enterprise in Driffield he must be known to someone out there who might shed light on why he has 400 empty hives and whether disease was a factor?

AFB is less likely ulness you are unlucky but EFB is endemic in some set ups, so wash them in bleach as well

I had thought a dip in bleach would remove more or less anything and reduce the risk of disease.

If this is / was a commercial enterprise in Driffield he must be known to someone out there who might shed light on why he has 400 empty hives and whether disease was a factor?

In an email to me he said he was retiring, hence the need to get rid.

Of course, there may have been a catalyst...

I've only the 4 and I'm new but I don't understand the practicalities - how do you get rid of 400 colonies of bees without anybody noticing? were they bought without the hives? were they all killed off? did they just head off?

He clearly has a large area of dry storage, so perhaps he has been reducing his colnies over time.

Latest posts

Back