Hive Alive

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
20 & 6 Nucs
Has anyone here used 'Hive Alive'? I just watched a video on it. I don't know if the forum rules allow the discussing of a product. If its not allowed and Admin please remove this post.

Similar but less expensive than Hiveclean???... a mix of extracts from aromatic herbs. Vimto probably works as well,,,,, will admit to using it on nucs if I see a bit of DWV, possibly gentler on the bees than Apiguard or .... Shock Horror.. Formic acid MAQS !!

Hive clean ... not Vimto!

Yeghes da

Or what about those "Scrambled Egg Soya Flour Apple Tart Pollen Patties," they work if you throw them at the bees to knock off the mites !

Or what about those "Scrambled Egg Soya Flour Apple Tart Pollen Patties," they work if you throw them at the bees to knock off the mites !

only if you cover the whole thing in Ambrosia .................
CUSTARD!

I have used Hive Alive for two season now, and it appears to work very well.
My bees seem to have improved and I have no varroa mite infections this year. Previous to using this product most of my hives had varroa infection. ( 10 hives)
I also use some other varroa treatment.

I am happy to continue to use it.However, I have no scientific evidence to offer.

There are instructions on the pack on how much to add to Syrup when feeding.

Nope was more thinking along the lines of n-fold Cartesian products. But if you insist on the old fashioned way using fingers and thumbs....
Alternatively, live life dangerously take off your socks and add in your toes. You might get up to 18.:winner1st:

Last edited:
Nope was more thinking along the lines of n-fold Cartesian products. But if you insist on the old fashioned way using fingers and thumbs....
Alternatively, live life dangerously take off your socks and add in your toes. You might get up to 18.:winner1st:

Having had one leg amputated and three toes lost due to frostbite and loosing one finger in a table saw accident ... 11 seems to be as high as it gets!!!

Now it seems that more babies born in the Viking invaded areas of the UK are born with tails...

Yeghes da

HiveAlive

I have used HiveAlive for several years - in both spring and autumn feeds. Bees do build up well in the spring. The effect on nosema is such that we have not seen it in any of the 14 hives. The thymol content prevents the syrup from going mouldy. I would also add that since using it varroa levels have been low - this may be a coincidence as there is currently no suggestion that HiveAlive has any effect on varroa. We would not feed syrup without it.

I have used HiveAlive for several years - in both spring and autumn feeds. Bees do build up well in the spring. The effect on nosema is such that we have not seen it in any of the 14 hives. The thymol content prevents the syrup from going mouldy. I would also add that since using it varroa levels have been low - this may be a coincidence as there is currently no suggestion that HiveAlive has any effect on varroa. We would not feed syrup without it.

"Norton

"Thymol in syrup renders male mites sterile, does the same to drones!"
From the thymolated syrup thread,http://www.beekeepingforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=26305
He wouldn't substantiate when asked though, but it's definitely a suggestion.

"Norton

"Thymol in syrup renders male mites sterile, does the same to drones!"
From the thymolated syrup thread,http://www.beekeepingforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=26305
He wouldn't substantiate when asked though, but it's definitely a suggestion.

I have searched for peer reviewed Science on this... probably another Beekeeping Myth!

Yeghes da

None whatsoever? Based on what counting method?

Based on visual assessment of the bees,drop tray assessment of debris under mesh floors on some hives prior to and post treatment, examination of drone brood, visual assessment for distorted wings, and through close examination of the general bee population. I am lucky to have very good eyesight..at the moment.

My bees are in a very isloated part of Co.fermanagh, and may not have any other bees with 4-5 miles, that probably helps too.

I have used Hive Alive for two season now, and it appears to work very well.
My bees seem to have improved and I have no varroa mite infections this year. Previous to using this product most of my hives had varroa infection. ( 10 hives)
I also use some other varroa treatment.

And you don't think that the 'other varroa treatment' has any effect on your mite levels then (unless of course you're referring to magic fairy dust AKA icing sugar)

No, im quite certain the other treatment is effective, otherwise I woudn't waste time and money using it.

The reason I mentioned using another treatment is to indicate that I wasn't giving sole credit to hive alive for effective varroa control.
I use hive alive also for several other possible associated benefits.

Back