Hive Alive

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is hivealive not just a more convenient (and more expensive) way of making thymol syrup? from that basis alone it will suit some people, but not othersl

I guess you could use it in place of thymol syrup,
but the instructions say to use 2.5ml per litre adding a minimum of 4 litres to each hive.
it is this 4 litres that is meant to make the difference.
After this continue feeding sugar syrup.
So you can continue using hivealive or use thymol or just straight syrup.
That's my interpretation of what is on the box anyway.

I chose to use it in all of my sugar syrup.
However I am in the fortunate position of keeping bees for pleasure and not for any financial reward, so was happy to pay the additional cost.

Last edited:
My take is it helps I've used it five years and I think it's a good product but I think that's down to the thymol in the product. It's expensive though so I'm making my own from thymol and lemongrass next year

Go easy on the lemongrass.
I did give this a go, adding lemongrass to thymol sugar syrup.
But I think I added too much lemongrass.
The hive I tried this in was inundated by robber bees attracted to the scent.

I need to work out how many drops per litre is strong enough to tempt the bees within the hive, but not too strong that it attracts bees from other colonies.

Go easy on the lemongrass.
I did give this a go, adding lemongrass to thymol sugar syrup.
But I think I added too much lemongrass.
The hive I tried this in was inundated by robber bees attracted to the scent.

I need to work out how many drops per litre is strong enough to tempt the bees within the hive, but not too strong that it attracts bees from other colonies.
One drop per five litres is enough

Weird, every time we have used hive alive we have copious amounts of dead bees in the feeders, when we switch to just syrup we have no problems. This wasn't just a one off it's happened quite a few times!!!!

Weird, every time we have used hive alive we have copious amounts of dead bees in the feeders, when we switch to just syrup we have no problems. This wasn't just a one off it's happened quite a few times!!!!
How did the bees get into the feeders?
All my feeders have lids on.
(Mainly to prevent robbing)

How did the bees get into the feeders?
All my feeders have lids on.
(Mainly to prevent robbing)
In the sugar solution itself, lids are on tight. Nothing this year though thankfully, no hive alive in there

In the sugar solution itself, lids are on tight. Nothing this year though thankfully, no hive alive in there
First year beek here and I seem to have the same with hive alive - if anywhere near recommended strength bees literally drown themselves - normal syrup they don’t - exact same feeder. Now I put in about a drop (or a spoon handle dipped in pot for 3l which doesn’t seem to drive them to death by drowning.

First year beek here and I seem to have the same with hive alive - if anywhere near recommended strength bees literally drown themselves - normal syrup they don’t - exact same feeder. Now I put in about a drop (or a spoon handle dipped in pot for 3l which doesn’t seem to drive them to death by drowning.
Haven't put any in as we are treating with apiguard, think it maybe a thymol overload

To be fair I’ve also used apiguard - but drowning seems to be prevalent all year round at anything like the recommended treatment rate - try maybe a 1/4 of a teaspoon per 5l maximum seems to work well.

going to be trying the new MineralBee (yes I know probably not needed like multivitamins for people) as just want to try anything I can to get both of mine through winter (have bee fondant (no HMF) already bought)

Good on you.
All you really need is a strong colony, that has been treated for varroa, a sound hive and stores, and leave them to it. The latter is the hardest part for new comers

Latest posts

Back