Hive Alive BBC2 On Now!

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tried a pair of official issue kevlar 'baggage examination' gloves once (designed so officers don't get jabbed with any needles lying around in the great unwashed's baggage) as they were light and very tactile - within seconds, bang! stung straight through them.

Tried a pair of official issue kevlar 'baggage examination' gloves once (designed so officers don't get jabbed with any needles lying around in the great unwashed's baggage) as they were light and very tactile - within seconds, bang! stung straight through them.

I'd expect that the weave of the Kevlar fibre cloth would be small enough to stop the relatively large hypodermic needles but nevertheless way too 'open' to stop something as tiny as a bee sting lancet.

Nice idea though.

Madasafish, you know me, I've always been a nervous keeper ;) The reason I insisted is because I was a new beekeeper with no experience, and as gentle as I am, running a group, you have to let everyone ' have a go ' and some were clumsy. Surely the most placid of bees become pests at some point? How do you deal with that situation, for instance, when I treated my bees for varroa they were uncharacteristically annoyed. They didn't chase or act aggressively, but they certainly weren't happy. How do you manage in those circumstances? Do you keep a suit for times like those?

Kaz
I wear baggy trousers.put short wellies on and tuck the trousers into them.Wear jacket and nitriles on top of marigolds.. .

For really bad cases, I wear a Panoply mechanics suit (no through pockets) and jacket. A bee would need a a 10cm long sting made of steel to get through:). Only had to do that twice in nearly 5 years..

What about your face? One of my group got a bee stuck in her hair pulling off her suit, is that not a problem? I would love to shed the suit, especially at the height of summer, but I have yet to be stung properly and really don't fancy it. I have been stung, but I suspect she was young, it was when I lifted a super and trapped a bee and she caught the inner crease of my pointy finger. It didn't hurt, just a hint of burning, but I don't fancy a full blown jab, so I do everything humanly possible not to let it happen. I'm also on a lot of medication, which I don't know if they will affect my reaction to being stung. I'm on a lot of steroids these days, as well as lots of other meds.

Unfortunately you don't know how your bees are going to react until you get your hands in the hive, the most gentle bees can turn evil and vice versa so always wear your ppe

I'd expect that the weave of the Kevlar fibre cloth would be small enough to stop the relatively large hypodermic needles but nevertheless way too 'open' to stop something as tiny as a bee sting lancet.

Nice idea though.

They've never got through my Kevlar lined jeans.

Oh, I always do! I even duct tape the zip ends and everything! lol No way they are getting in my suit!

Unfortunately you don't know how your bees are going to react until you get your hands in the hive, the most gentle bees can turn evil and vice versa so always wear your ppe

+1

Not wearing ppe is like riding a motorbike without a helmet, driving without a seatbelt or using an angle grinder without goggles. Some do and get away with it for decades, but the risk of injury or worse is too high to take the chance.

What about your face?

I think Madasafish meant a beekeeping jacket (with veil) rather than a boiler suit type, which is fine, still adequate protection I plumped for a full suit 'cos goodness knows what I'm wearing when I go into the hives - I also have a smock which is handy to just grap and pull on for a quick visit.

I'm very impressed Adam that you are reading our little forum, and as a fellow scientist who's worked with Coast, I take on board your comments about how things might appear 'clunky' on TV all suited up. I guess its all about balance and, perhaps being so close to the hobby, turns us all into critics. Ironically, I had someone wander into my apiary today in shorts and a vest, and proceeded to join me (uninvited) at one of the hives. He was not asked in but thought he'd come over to see what I was doing! Choosing my words carefully, I pointed out the obvious danger and asked him politely to back away. Overall a much better programme than Martha's first one and some very interesting science.

I have a great photo of a Mexican beekeeper working with africanised bees wearing shorts and a t shirt and nothing else. He may have sandals I can't remember...if you've seen my stingless bee talk then you'll have seen it. His attitude was that if you're careful they are fine, and if he's wearing a suit and gloves he can't be careful. At least I think that's what he said. It was hard to hear through my double suit...

Well done Adam

I am delighted that Adam is prepared to read the posts from the most cynical and harsh critics. Well done. I too am looking forward to next week.
I am still concerned about the impression given that protective clothing is unnecessary. At the club apiary last night I was wearing my American bee proof suit. The feeling of invulnerability it gives me ensures I can stay calm whatever mood the bees are in, (no-one can see my ugly mug behind the mask so they all feel better!!!)
A sting to the face can turn a new beek off beekeeping immediately.

What about your face? One of my group got a bee stuck in her hair pulling off her suit, is that not a problem? I would love to shed the suit, especially at the height of summer, but I have yet to be stung properly and really don't fancy it. I have been stung, but I suspect she was young, it was when I lifted a super and trapped a bee and she caught the inner crease of my pointy finger. It didn't hurt, just a hint of burning, but I don't fancy a full blown jab, so I do everything humanly possible not to let it happen. I'm also on a lot of medication, which I don't know if they will affect my reaction to being stung. I'm on a lot of steroids these days, as well as lots of other meds.

I have a pop on veil and usually use it if in T shirt and shorts. I always wear a veil when doing any form of manipulation - as opposed to inspection.

If I were you I would continue to take precautions about being stung. It has taken me 4 odd years and some 200+ stings to get to near immunity . In the early days, each sting was accompanied with lots of swellings.. Not something I can recommend if your immune system has to cope with drugs..(no, I am not a doctor).

Now ? I have been stung on neck, cheeks ear and top of head this year: fortunately with minimal effects. Would not like a sting near eyes but then I wear glasses so they offer some protection.

When cutting grass or strimming, T shirt, shorts and no glasses. The only stings I get are from bees hitting me in mid flight and alarmed when caught in hair. EXCEPT I had a grumpy hive - now requeened - who followed me and attacked me when I cut near them. Now resolved.

Personal protection is personal- you must do as you feel comfortable with.

(I recall a beginner visiting association Apiary with fashionable torn jeans - especially near the crotch :eek:. We refused to let him near the bees for his own safety until he used gaffer tape!)

As in most things the best PPE is inside your skull.

Defensive (not predator) behaviour is in lots of animals is graduated. Find out the signs, look out for the signs, take appropriate action.

The product placement is interesting. In Martha's series everyone was wearing a suit bearing a star on the breast. This time they all bore a yellow rectangle. And the hives had a green logo, readable in one shot. Were the manufactures asked to pay for the exposure, or simply to provide the product free in exchange for the advertising. You can be sure it wasn't a coincidence.
Once upon a time the BBC banned a Buddy Holly song because it referred to a fizzy drink by the brand name. These days, the market rules.

:serenade:That is interesting I always thought it was because of the Snow white the dwarves and Smirnoff joke that Auntie banned it ?:serenade:

James

I've just dug out an old slide from my young days in Sierra Leone. there's a guy sorting out a primitive barrel hive with only a pair of shorts on, and I think my father gave him those!

Thanks Adam. A really interesting programme.

The temperature chart that showed a steady 43.1 degrees (I think?) in the hive, despite external fluctuations, was fascinating. I have WBC's and often wondered whether there were temp changes happening given the hive has inner boxes and an outer 'skin'.

I wonder if the same steady temperatures occur in National hives?

Back