High winter losses

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dickbowyer

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Some hives and a few nucs
Inspecting over weekend, I have become aware of high winter losses between 5 beekeepers, with either dead or queenless colonies at around 2 out of 3 here in West Sussex. Is this representative?

Checked mine today. All 6 made it safely through the winter.

Inspecting over weekend, I have become aware of high winter losses between 5 beekeepers, with either dead or queenless colonies at around 2 out of 3 here in West Sussex. Is this representative?

Not heard anything over here in Hampshire but it's early days for inspections even down here in the South ..

1 of 11 lost a queen at some stage over the winter (some evidence of an attempt at a late supersedure). Will combine and split later in the season.

Another was more puzzling. Small brood, but 100s of old dead bees on the OMF (removed). No signs of disease on remaining bees or brood. I got the impression they only just made it through.

I lost 6 out of 25 which was heart breaking.... last year it was 1 out of 17.

Is this representative?

Let's hope not.

The losses I've heard are those of beekeepers who have kept bees for three or four years, are very keen to continue but have yet to grasp the basics of winter survival: strong colonies treated for varroa with adequate stores in an appropriate box.

Example: three beekeepers on an allotment lost all and put the word out for overwintered nucs, hoping for more than the one they were given free by a mate. Free! Probably be asking again next spring.

Another example: beekeeper stopped at market to chat, having lost both. Asked if he knew why, he described small colonies with stores in big boxes, some starving from isolation, some dead when caught on the comb away from the nest by a sudden drop in temp, all untreated for varroa in late summer. Surprised that they starved because there was a feeder of syrup on top...

I've lost two so far: one roof blew off in autumn forty miles away when I was indisposed and which died out early after a fortnight of rain, and another late unite which didn't work (reason yet to be determined, but likely a failed Q). Probably find a few more when I get out there.

Low losses I’m pleased to say. A couple to Queen failures but that’s about it.

All production colonies have survived, but a few of them weaker than I would like. Lost all my nucs though. Queens just gone.

I have lost a couple. Ample stores, well treated for varroa, but some mouldy frames suggesting damp. I think either lost the queen, too small a colony going into winter or the damp...or any combination of the three.
Also have a couple of very small colonies ie a very small number of remaining bees on 2 frames with larvae, which I have moved from a national to a nuc.
I need to improve my queens over the season. Have ordered a mated Buckfast in May and will use some of her eggs, hopefully to make some new queens.

Overall losses about look to be less than 10% and most of them were colonies where I should have admitted they weren't strong enough back in the autumn. Reasons include queen failure (late supercedure), a blocked entrance for 2+ weeks and isolation starvation.
Surviving nucs mostly very strong and have used a few as brood frame donors to weaker full colonies or promoted them to full colonies.
Colonies that went into the autumn in single or double national brood showing more variation, some needing a super, others needing a boost. One of the strongest was without a roof for several days back in February following Storm Ciara which shows how resilient bees can be.

All five safely through One borderline survival with an unsealed supercedure cell. Fingers crossed she'll find some drones to mate with.

An experienced beekeeper/association member lost 10 out of 30+. Cause still unknown:(

Have checked mine over the last few weeks and have a 1.5% loss, mainly due to queen failure. Some are a bit further behind than I would like but most are looking fine.
S

8 out of 9 in West London are good. 3 gangbusters, 4 will need feeding, 1 will probably unite.

The lost one was a weak nuc with a suspect Q from mid summer split.

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

All 10 of mine have survived,
5 nucs two of which have been transfered already the other three are building up OK.
I've one failing queen in a brood/half other than that not to bad.

Im not surprised that there's been more loses with some after the very wet winter.

Sent from my YAL-L21 using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back