Hi from Kingskerswell - Devon

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robbee

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Hi All
Im not expecting to be able to keep bee's for a couple of years as I currently work in Iraq and am not home that often…. However bee keeping has fascinated me for a long time and I am now reading everything I can find (the wonders of the internet and a kindle) with regards to the subject.

I would like to have done a day or 2 days course whilst at home(South Devon) sometime but can't find anything obvious at this point. I am sandwiched between 2 associations (Torbay and Newton Abbot) both of which run evening courses during the winter, unfortunately not suitable for me at this point…..

Anyway unless those elusive numbers come up on the Lotto it looks as If I won't be starting out practically in beekeeping for a couple of years, by which time I will probably have read every book out there and viewed every youtube video on line! Hope I like the bees when I get the chance for hands on….

Cheers

Welcome to the forum.

Evening classes during the winter are probably the best way to get an integrated overview of all the different aspects of the craft.
Stitching the pieces together - and working out what is orthodoxy and what is personal quirk - is usually the hard part!

I'd suggest a generous addition of salt to any 'internet advice' that is not subject to open critique and correction!
Similarly, there's a big difference in the quality of many of the books around. Do have a look around the forum for recommendations (and recommendations to avoid!) There is a dedicated (if untidy) books section in here. http://www.beekeepingforum.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=8
The advent of varroa creates a 'blind spot' in many excellent older books. Which is just one more reason for reading around, and not believing that any one author has all the answers! (And some old books do have some VERY strange and long disproven ideas - old doesn't automatically mean wise!)
One criticism levelled at some books' Kindle editions is that the illustrations aren't as easily viewed in context as with dead tree publication.
So, if you have any Kindle-edition-related comments to add to the forum 'Books' section, that would be particularly valuable.

For the future, you need to be aware that bees can be demanding of your time. Not necessarily big chunks, but some things (particularly around swarming and new Queens) simply cannot be allowed to wait. Reckoning on a weekly brood frame inspection from late March to late June should give you some sort of idea, initially roughly an hour (you'll get quicker) in decent-ish weather every single week at that time of the season.

Clubs. Very cheap indeed to join if you are not needing bee insurance, etc.
Ask about such 'no-bees' membership (sometimes "associate") and get along to meetings, get to know the people, and see who might like a willing labourer/observer occasionally. Anyway, don't delay getting in touch until you can do one of their courses. And being cheap to join, why not start by joining both, and seeing where you feel most at home?

Last edited:
Hi All
Im not expecting to be able to keep bee's for a couple of years as I currently work in Iraq and am not home that often…. However bee keeping has fascinated me for a long time and I am now reading everything I can find (the wonders of the internet and a kindle) with regards to the subject.

I would like to have done a day or 2 days course whilst at home(South Devon) sometime but can't find anything obvious at this point. I am sandwiched between 2 associations (Torbay and Newton Abbot) both of which run evening courses during the winter, unfortunately not suitable for me at this point…..

Anyway unless those elusive numbers come up on the Lotto it looks as If I won't be starting out practically in beekeeping for a couple of years, by which time I will probably have read every book out there and viewed every youtube video on line! Hope I like the bees when I get the chance for hands on….

Cheers

Welcome to the halls of the afflicted:)
Plenty of reading matter but try to get hold of Ted Hoopers book. As to you tube do bear in mind anyone, including the terminally bewildered can upload onto it and some of the content is obviously sourced from them.

Many thanks for your reply Itma, all sounds like essential information. Yes, joining both associations is likely to be on the cards as both are only 3.50 a year for associate membership!!!

And thanks to you as well John, re YouTube.... I have found myself laughing at some of the videos, especially from America, I think some of the beekeepers must have been extras in the film Deliverance!

And thanks to you as well John, re YouTube.... I have found myself laughing at some of the videos, especially from America, I think some of the beekeepers must have been extras in the film Deliverance!
#

I think some of them would be more at home in Texas Chain Saw Massacre ... there's been some recent threads on books for beginners if you search. A good starting point if you are abroad and have access to the net is some of the older tomes:

There are lots of free (and some very old) books here:

http://www.honeylibrary.com/books/list

Welcome to the halls of the afflicted:)
Plenty of reading matter but try to get hold of Ted Hoopers book. As to you tube do bear in mind anyone, including the terminally bewildered can upload onto it and some of the content is obviously sourced from them.

If you read Hooper, you MUST read Cooper!
In fact read widely as then you will get to see how much cutting and pasting of nonsensical plagiarism is going on!
I find most tomes are somewhat like that "curates egg", good in parts!

Try to get native bees, or at least an adapted local variety when you start up, then you will at least not suffer the heartache many do when the prized imported queen dies over our unsuitable weather conditions, although you are much further inland to me!
All the best

James

Hi Robbee,
Next time you are back from Iraq send me a message and you can come and look at some of my hives, I'm only 10 mins away from Kingskerswell.

Many thanks Bill very much appreciated! Teignmouth must be a hotbed for Beekeepers, another fella contacted me as well from around there.

I don't suppose you have any hives at Weir Farm on the Teignmouth - Newton road do you?

For this part of the country is there a preferred breed of Bee/Queen or is it just a case of "what comes along" Thanks Rob

Yes i have hives both sides of Weir Farm, Ray Ford from the Newton Abbot branch has a couple of hives around there too. Most of my queens are of Buckfast origin.

Thanks Bill, hopefully catch up with you later in October.

Latest posts

Back