Hi and help on hive selection, to polyhive or not and what's wrong with langstroths!

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
because its not simple straightforward process with a 100% succeess rate or anything near it.
I would stick with the queen that comes with the swarm and just observe, and if they decide to supercede let them and observe.... after all if you are a beginner, the bees are the experts in your apiary :)

Appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi all. I am brand new to beekeeping and currently on a beginner's course with my local association.
I am hoping to get one or two hives this year and am on a bit of a budget. I was keen on the look of polyhives but this didn't get a great response from the association, suggesting cleaning difficulties etc. They were also not massively keen on langstroths. Annoyingly it is polyhives and wooden langstroths which I have found at the most sensible prices.
I am sure that you guys have heard this before but any guidance would be greatly appreciated. Many thanks.

It may be helpful for you to look at the disease incidence reports here (http://www.nationalbeeunit.com/public/BeeDiseases/diseaseIncidenceMaps.cfm). This may indicate why your local association favours a particular type of hive material.
Old habits die hard with a lot of people and they are not always right.Always try to get an explanation for why something is the way it is. It may be for a good reason, but, if it makes no sense, it's probably for "historic reasons" that are no longer relevant. I use poly Langstroths and they suit me very well. I would probably need 3 Nationals just to serve as a brood chamber which would make the stack pretty tall by the time I got a few supers on. Langstroths are definitely better for the more prolific bee.

Eeeeek, discuss! They seem more robust looking and are wood compatible. That was my reasoning?

The Abelo poly hives are excellent hives and good value for money coming ready painted. They are made by Lyson to the same exacting standards as all their other poly hives they have been making for well over 30 years. If most of Europe buys them and is satisfied with them; then one dissenting voice from Polyhive who has never used an Abelo National poly hive in his life should be politely ignored.
Don't hesitate, they are damn good hives. And no I have no commercial connection with Abelo, except spending quite a lot of money on their excellent poly National hives at the moment. I just wish their National had been available before last year and before I bought all my other poly hives....it's an expensive job slowly replacing them all.

Last edited:
because its not simple straightforward process with a 100% succeess rate or anything near it.
I would stick with the queen that comes with the swarm and just observe, and if they decide to supercede let them and observe.... after all if you are a beginner, the bees are the experts in your apiary :)

I think he was referring to Abelo, not my post.

As with a lot of things on here requeening is made out to be much more complicated and harder than it is in reality.

Light blue touch paper

Running two colonies is always better than one. They give you insurance if you lose a queen in one , for example. You will also need spare boxes for swarm control.

I don't advise beginners to start with swarms, they are an unknown quantity. Get a quality nuc and do yourself a favour.

I don't advise beginners to start with swarms, they are an unknown quantity. Get a quality nuc and do yourself a favour.

:iagree:
I would always requeen a swarm.
As a beginner, things can be hectic enough without the "unknown" of a swarm.
However, its often no better buying a nucleus unless its from someone you know / trust (and can go back to for help).

To the OP, bees will thrive in any of the poly offerings just as they will in cedar hives, especially in this country. It's not cold enough here to warrant comparisons, choose a hive that will best suit your requirements.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have 20 Sweinty, 40 Abelo poly and another 30ish wooden - in my experience, both poly brands have been great for overwintering success and the results are far better than the 8 or so years of experience I had with wood. The poly hives seem to be a month ahead in development coming into spring.

Personally, I think the finish is better with the Abelo ones, they are denser and allow you to handle them more roughly than some other poly makes out there, but again thats my personal preference. In my experience the lips on the Swienty boxes near where the frame lugs would go have chipped when I stick my tool between the two brood boxes and the bees stick the top bar in the bottom box to the bottom bars in the top box. But otherwise they do the job.

To be honest I think the colony that died in your Abelo box would have happened in a another box of a different brand and is probably beekeeper error.

Last edited:
I've heard that a Langstroth can be slightly easier to handle if you have back issues. Despite its capacity, it is slightly narrower one way than a national, so your reach across is easier and it keeps more of the weight nearer your body.
They are also easier to make from scratch if you intend to make your own.

A bit belated, but is this the best way to lift? By reaching across a rectangular box, you are twisting your back before you even lift...

For me, the length of a langstroth, combined with the finger - rather than hand - holds makes them awkward to manoeuvre, but I'm probably not the strongest person around.

Back on topic....The best advice has already been given - take as many opportunities as you can to handle as many hives/frame types as you can. You may still find, in a few years down the line, that you might have chosen differently if you had known now what you will know then. You might not make the "perfect" choice now, but if you start in a modest way until you have a bit more experience, you won't have made a huge commitment to the "wrong" hive and would be in a reasonable position to switch to a different hive. Whatever you choose, enjoy your bees!:)

A bit belated, but is this the best way to lift? By reaching across a rectangular box, you are twisting your back before you even lift...

For me, the length of a langstroth, combined with the finger - rather than hand - holds makes them awkward to manoeuvre, but I'm probably not the strongest person around.

Back on topic....The best advice has already been given - take as many opportunities as you can to handle as many hives/frame types as you can. You may still find, in a few years down the line, that you might have chosen differently if you had known now what you will know then. You might not make the "perfect" choice now, but if you start in a modest way until you have a bit more experience, you won't have made a huge commitment to the "wrong" hive and would be in a reasonable position to switch to a different hive. Whatever you choose, enjoy your bees!:)

Agreed! Let's face it beekeeping with any box style isn't ergonomic, I'm reminded of that every time i take my fiancée beekeeping - occupational therapist, aka, basket weaver... Hehehe

You should consider Honey Paw langstroth hives, excellent quality I was looking at them this weekend at beetradex.

Latest posts

Back