Help with prices please, urgent.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Due to erichalfbees kindness, we are almost ready to take the honey supers from the bees and put another super on. All we need now are the wood componants for the frames - SN4s. We have been put in touch with someone who can sell us equipment, and he is quoting us £15 for the frames parts, that's without postage. Seems a bit steep to me, am I being unreasonable? If so, where can I buy the cheapest possible frames?

He has quoted us £280 for a full hive with two supers plus frames. Good price?

Also! Lol. We are taking the honey supers off on friday. Thing is, we don't have a clearer board, so my ingenious plan is to shake and brush the bees off each frame, then run like the wind to a spare super sat in a bin bag, and remove them frame by frame that way. Any other ideas? bearing in mind we have no equipment whatsoever.

This is getting quite tedious now. We really have been left in the lurch here. The member of staff who assists me is buying all this stuff on her credit card, hoping we'll get enough back on the honey to clear the debt. I wish I'd known more about beekeeping before I opened my big gob and agreed to caretake. if it wasn't for you lot, I'd be really stuck :(

We will need a video of this please.:rolleyes:

How many frames are you getting for 15 does that include foundation and how many are you after?

Pearce

"Maybe as Hivemaker is a longstanging member and he also is a hive maker and he has sold im sure quite a few hives and made quite good profits from the forum.

Maybe he can donate the equipment that Kaz needs..."

This is very inappropriate.

No-one should be subjected to this type of rhetoric. No-one can know what good works this person does already that nobody knows about.

It has already been suggested that a whip round is done to help this woman out and what ever has been done, has been done, or not.

She has been told MB can supply a hive and two supers for £95ish so frames and foundation on top still seems cheap.

I gather £2K has gone on this project. That should have bought 4/5 hives and supers with frames and filled them with bees.

It is easy to be generous with other people's money and goodwill. As you feel strongly enough to possibly embarrass another, do the man thing - buy it for her and tell no-one.

Pearce

"Maybe as Hivemaker is a longstanging member and he also is a hive maker and he has sold im sure quite a few hives and made quite good profits from the forum.

Maybe he can donate the equipment that Kaz needs..."

This is very inappropriate.

No-one should be subjected to this type of rhetoric. No-one can know what good works this person does already that nobody knows about.

It is easy to be generous with other people's money and goodwill. As you feel strongly enough to possibly embarrass another, do the man thing - buy it for her and tell no-one.

:iagree::iagree::iagree:

also

Kaz - if you have a crown board with holes for porter escapes, why not just buy two of those, total cost £1.50 and zero effort. May not be as effective as a PH (or even <cough> MA) clearer board, but it will do the job easier than a shake and brush.

Im going to be really cheaky here and say something. Sorry ADMIN in advance.

Maybe as Hivemaker is a longstanging member and he also is a hive maker and he has sold im sure quite a few hives and made quite good profits from the forum.

Maybe he can donate the equipment that Kaz needs to finish off the hive she has and also a full second one. im sure he is aware of the horrors she has been through this year and she really needs something good to happen.

sorry to put it out there in full view of everyone. Hivemaker dont forget it will be fully tax deductable and will do you untold good on here.

Sorry Hivemaker to put you in an akward possition.

Also Sorry Kaz if i have embarresed you for asking for the donation to you.

And Sorry Admin to if you get a complaint about the post.

@ DPEARCE - Your post is out of order in so many ways!

UN-BEEEE-LEEEEEEEV-ABLE!!!!

Kaz,

Before you buy my advice is to consider the weight factor. As I recall you found the supers were heavy on inspections, and after trying two poly supers out on my existing cedar hives, I am planning a complete move to poly next year. They are so much easier to move around, the BB's are warmer for the bees in winter, and more affordable.

As others have pointed out the seconds frames from CWJ are very good and a lot cheaper. Out of 50 frames I made up, I lost only defective parts that would make up a single SN1 frame.

:iagree:
Sorry Pearce as someone who has parted cash to hivemaker I also agree with what others have said.

yes he is making an income from the hives but no differant to other companies do you thing T**** etc would consider parting with a hive?

Also the time he is willing to put in is IMO more than payback for the custom he recieves.

Oh and thats not forgetting the phone calls his family happily take when some stupid Beek is having a panic attack!! (namely me) They all always have time for silly questions and help whenever!

Just thought pearce you no doubt have benifited through the forum with free adivce, Why dont you provide a hive for the project?? It will only cost a little more than what it costs HM in time and skill.

:iagree: :iagree:
Hear hear - Hivemaker doubles or trebles the value of his hives with his expert and freely-given advice. I'm speaking as another beek who has pestered him at home. There's no way he owes anyone here anything, while I guess there are many, many of us who owe tons to him and to this forum.

If anyone else wants to do so then that is great but dont shoot me down what what i have said in public as you dont know what is been discussed in private.
It's the Public bit that I object to ,after all, the private bit is none of my concern.
Which ever way you look at it , arm twisting is arm twisting and shouldn't be done .;)
VM

:iagree:

out of order to "volunteer" hivemaker like that.

I'm sure if Kaz decides to buy a HM hive (or two) then she will get the best support and advice going and feel her investment is worthwhile.

DOI: have promised kaz's project a couple of nuc boxes for next season (hope she doesn't mind me mentioning it).

Nuff said I think.
I also think we are agreed that Kazs project is really worthwhile. While individually we can contribute this and that (sometimes significantly), collectively we could make it easier for Kaz; we all know there is a steady stream of bits and bobs you need - having to struggle for everything must be a nightmare.
If, as suggest previously, Admin could be kind enough to set up a paypal account to enable forum members to sponsor the project, and Kaz can promote the forum (as I'm sure she does) then individuals can donate at their discretion.

Wow! You guys have all been wonderful, and I wouldn't assume anything from an individual. dpearce is just trying to help, he has been helping me with the best way of approaching businesses and in lots of other ways, I'm sure he meant no harm by it.

I would just like to take this opportunity to thank everyone who has offered help, and yes, I don't mind mentioning my twin, the good Dr, has been invaluable and we have something planned.... NOT the calendar though drstitson :p

News on the frames. Juststarting is letting us add our order to theirs, so we get the frames without the postage, which is very very helpful. The postage is costing us double our orders at this rate.

I am seriously considering switching to poly, at least for the supers, and have discussed this briefly with PH. You have no idea how many of my male friends I've tricked into " just helping me lift something, i'll tell you when we get there. You are not allergic to stings are you btw? " haha.

I tell everyone about this forum. People ask me where I learned all I know about the bees, and are pretty impressed by how far I've come from a big scared girl, running about with jelly legs and screeching when something buzzed by me, to a competent keeper of bees in the space of a year. It's all thanks to this place. I keep trying to get the others to join, but I don't know if they've looked so far. I think we'll be fine from now on. Thank you, all of you. Couldn't have done it without you all :)

"my twin, the good Dr"

i'd just like to stress that it's more of an evil twin or joey from friends hand twin. NOT biological or conjoined.

and Kaz - it was you that brought up the calendar spontaneously THIS time - must be subconsciously coming round to it!!!!

"my twin, the good Dr"

i'd just like to stress that it's more of an evil twin or joey from friends hand twin. NOT biological or conjoined.

and Kaz - it was you that brought up the calendar spontaneously THIS time - must be subconsciously coming round to it!!!!

Well you are obviously the evil twin, as I am so good and pure, clearly :p and I've told you, nobody wants to see me drowned in a XXL smock, with my traffic collision causing wellies, cursing the smoker during any month of the year lol. It'd raise all of 27p, not even enough to cover the rubber bands in my bee kit ;)

Well you are obviously the evil twin, as I am so good and pure, clearly :p and I've told you, nobody wants to see me drowned in a XXL smock, with my traffic collision causing wellies, cursing the smoker during any month of the year lol. It'd raise all of 27p, not even enough to cover the rubber bands in my bee kit ;)
You don't buy your rubber bands?
My postie leaves thousands all down the lane :smilielol5:
VM

You don't buy your rubber bands?
My postie leaves thousands all down the lane :smilielol5:
VM

No I don't. I pinch them off the kids who collect them from the postie's cast offs to make a huge rubber band ball LOL

Latest posts

Back