Hello

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I too joined the local bee club, and nearly had a heart attack when they mentioned £450 for a 2 day course, Im sorry, but I aint paying that,

bl**dy hell :eek::eek::eek:

what were they offering for that, seems extortionate

Hi MandF
Allways willing to learn and be given good advice.
Welcome to the forum, a good book to start with is Ted Hooper, all are variations but the basics are much the same, work out which method of beekeeping will suit you and stick to it, no good doing miss match. Also you can kill your bees and many do each year

Just read Alan Campions "Bees at the bottom of the garden" and David Wootons "Bee Keeping" and obtained Ted Hooper "Guide to Bees and Honey" from the local Libary Thanks for your reply.

Hi Bee56,

I had a really frustrating 10 months after doing a course, when all I could do was read, read, hang around the Forum and read. Oh, and do some apiary evenings at our BKA.

Paid off, though. When I got my bees, after a few 'first night nerves' it all seemed to come together quite nicely.

Funnily enough, one of the most valuable lessons was learned from the bickering on this Forum! If the great and the good, (and the 'banned') can't agree, perhaps bees are more forgiving than we imagine.

Reminded me of a wise bloke writing about therapeutic interventions, who said, "It's not about getting it right; it's about getting it as little wrong as possible".

Enjoy!

Dusty

Hi Dusty
Yes it's a great forum, I've decided to wait until next year before getting some bees it will give me some time to collect the basic things to start beekeeping, looking at types of hives at the moment. I need to get some more hands on apiary training, don’t want to jump in and regret my decision buy buying the wrong things.

Last edited:
only problem with all the books is they all do things their own way which as a beginner can confuse (it confused the hell out of me)

Welcome :)

Remember, aside from a few golden rules to follow, whatever you do will not kill your bees, pretty much everything is opinions, and you should be happy and encouraged to question perceived wisdom.

Understand WHY someone is suggesting (and sometimes telling!) to do something one way, then you can make your own choice.

Dont be afraid to ask questions, or apologise for asking questions :)

Bees56:

Watch out for the trouble-makers. :rolleyes:

And when they return, Blessed be those who set fire to their cars.

A good tip is never light your smoker in the boot alongside the shavings.

Last edited:
Thanks BBG, nice link
I will try not to set fire to anything:auto:

not worthy
Nice post alanf and thank you, its a shame that I don't know any more local bee keepers to learn from.

Don't forget the Golden Rule - check all zips are fully pulled to before opening the hive.

bee-smilliebee-smilliebee-smilliebee-smilliebee-smilliebee-smilliebee-smillie

Thanks thorn it sounds like good advice to me.

Last edited:
Just had a great weekend,a local bee keeper has let me loose on his bees, it's a lot better than reading books. I still ache from lifting 30+ commercial hives.

Last edited:
hi i am a new keeper of bees this forum is great i log on most days and i always learn something,good luck.

hi beekim and welcome, I hope you have a great time on the forum, there's lots of experienced bee keepers here, with different opinions and views.
great if your a new bee like us.

Thank you for the warm welcome, I'm sure you will have a good laugh when I first get some bees, things never seem to be straight forward when learning something new.:)

Hi bee56,
You are the first person I have welcomed to the forum - I must feel that I belong. People are very generous with their knowledge and experience you will find. I have learnt a lot this year thanks to the forum and we do have some very learned people on. Ask away. The way I see it is that we all make mistakes as newbies, but none that people before us have not made. Good luck when the time comes and enjoy.

Back