Hello everyone.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matt77

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi eveyone. I'm Matt from Leicestershire, I kept bees from the age of 15ish up to age 20ish. For various reasons I had to give it up, now in my late 30's I'm in a postion to get started again. I've dug out all my old books, bought some new ones & have realised I've forgotten so much!! So in effect I'm a total beginner again & I'm really excited about it!

I've got a nuc on order for next year, so I'm likley to be on here with loads of daft questions come the spring.

Cheers all:cheers2:

Hellooo Mat.

Don't worry the same old arguments still persist, and all the old books are plagurised and cut and pasted into the new ones!

Please buy local bees that you can trust and practice holding the red hot smoker between your knees!

James

:welcome: Matt.

Varroa is the major change you will find, and some of the most sensible advice hasn't reached books yet! "Hard" chemicals (pesticides) may have been popular in the early days of Varroa, but these days are depricated because the mites develop resistance and you get residues …

The National Bee Unit (Civil Service/Agency) publish some useful (and free) beekeeping guides.
The one called "Managing Varroa" is one of the soundest AND most frequently updated.
See http://www.beekeepingforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=21261

Welcome, two other important issues are no holes in crown board except for feeding and we have grown fond of kingspan insulation and some are obsessed with it :D. I don't know if poly hives where around before you quit but they are quite popular now but I still have one arm tied behind my back on that one. Everything else is much the same, feed treat and reap

:welcome: Welcome Matt :)

Oh, just previewed that, and it sounds a bit, well, carpety, so I'll rephrase it - Hi, Matt, and welcome :D

Hi Matt, i'm new to this forum too & a new beekeeper, youll find the forum much the same as all others, some clever people & some clever arses, enjoy & glad to see you returned to bee keeping :)

I'm likley to be on here with loads of daft questions come the spring.
Cheers all:cheers2:
Don't worry yourself - there are plenty on here prepared to give you daft answers in return - be it spring, summer, autumn or winter

Welcome, two other important issues are no holes in crown board except for feeding and we have grown fond of kingspan insulation and some are obsessed with it :D. I don't know if poly hives where around before you quit but they are quite popular now but I still have one arm tied behind my back on that one. Everything else is much the same, feed treat and reap

Mine always have crownboards with holes, Redwood. Well, most of them do, anyway.

Back