New member introduction - Hants/Berks

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Roger.Wilco

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
New forum member - situated within the RG1-RG21-RG14 triangle.

Newbee... have been around bees on-and-off for a while - but have never personally kept them myself.

Have for an example a relative; an antipodean that has kept bees for three score years and ten (or more).

Back in 2015-16 decided I'd like to try my hand at keeping bees - but it took until 2017 before I was able to snag a place within the Business Park Bee Group which included a course one night a week and a few sessions with hives on office roofs. Then in 2019 was able to get a seat on the local BBKA beginners course - by the time I kinda knew what was happening there were no bees available. Then in 2021 tried again and resat the local BBKA online beginners course; for reasons that I no longer remember wasn't able to undertake any practical handling that year. And missed the bees again.

So this year - I've decided that - make or break - this will be the year. So I've paid my local BBKA membership and was for once lucky enough to snag at least a slot for a NUC (or two) of bees later this year.

I'm now taking the journey of filling the many gaps in my equipment inventory and revising old course notes, reading books and preparing for the baby NUCs arrival. Therefore, the reason to sign-up here - to be able to ask questions and participate in discussions.

As for the plans - would love (dream) to have some AZ Hives in the back garden shed. Saw them in Eastern Europe during a business trip years ago and like the idea. But... will have to revisit the neighbours as there have been changes since the last time I asked. So also trying to find a friend/acquaintance with room for nationals if the shed idea falls through. I think I have a month or two before the baby NUC arrives to sort this - so the pressure is on!

Welcome, it's not a bad thing to be a slow starter ... it took me nearly three years before I actually became a beekeeper ... it gives you time to think, plan, get your kit in place and if you get your hands on someone else's bees before you get your own it does lessen the shock when you get your own. Fortunately, you've found this forum before you really start beekeeping .. Me (and many others I suspect) wish we'd found the forum before we got our bees ... so much advice, opinion and good ideas you can harvest on here that you won't find in the beginners course and the beebooks.

Welcome, ... Fortunately, you've found this forum before you really start beekeeping .. Me (and many others I suspect) wish we'd found the forum before we got our bees ... so much advice, opinion and good ideas you can harvest on here that you won't find in the beginners course and the beebooks.
Thank you for your warm welcome. Amen to that.

Latest posts

Back