Happyguard 2nd treat

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zubzub

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Commercial
Number of Hives
2 comm bb and nat supers
Hi all
Put second apiguard on today, and the girls didnt like it at all.

They even removed old stuff from top bars and dumped outside the hive .
I guess I should leave it there rather than trying to put it back,would you agree?

View attachment 5012

Hi all
Put second apiguard on today, and the girls didnt like it at all.

They even removed old stuff from top bars and dumped outside the hive .
I guess I should leave it there rather than trying to put it back,would you agree?

View attachment 5012

I put second apiguard in on Friday, also topped up the feeder. No adverse response from the girls, no change in behaviour, no noticeable mite drop.

I put second apiguard in on Friday, also topped up the feeder. No adverse response from the girls, no change in behaviour, no noticeable mite drop.

well, you are very lucky, one of our beekeepers is using thymol patties and after sixteen days there is no noticeable change in the mite drop... it drop 1000 on the first day and is still over 500 PER DAY

commercial +half which produced eight full supers, and was treated autumn and April with thymol ....so 8000+ mites therefore why is it not dead

Last edited:
MM that belies belief I couldnt imagine how that colony has stuggled.

ZZ

:eek:

one of mine is still dropping over 250 a day this is day 19 nearly 6000 to date and i thought that was bad

My main hive had too many to count after first overnight of A/guard.....I stopped counting at 20+on a sq inch grid. The board is cleaned daily and I'll start counting tomorrow=5th day.

They seem happy!

at least they are being eradicated a dead varroa is a good varroa.

ZZ

;)

If the drop is that high would there be a case for putting a third treatment on before winter or is that a no no?

free

I'll leave the 2nd tray on for 3 weeks but AG obviously really does the business...

Veg

i know - but maybe leaving a trace of fear!

For certain next year I'll do some 'icing sugar dusting' in the Spring

6000 mites; 8000 mites.

All I can say is there must be very little 'IPM' going on for some!

Regular checks must show there is a problem at those levels, surely?

Regular attacks on the varroa population, at any opportunity throughout the season, should keep them within manageable proportions, surely?

I don't think these 'multiple thousands hives' have really been looked after properly, or the beekeepers should have got a wake-up call to be more diligent in the future. Virtually every bee emerging from pupation will likely have already been infected with pathogens, from the reproducing mites.

Those that simply rely on doing nothing except autumn treatments deserve to be in trouble. But they can also affect others' colonies if their's collapse, and are robbed out, or bees drift away to other hives.

RAB

Sorry to distract from this thread but I noticed Bobs Bees said he was applying Apiguard and feeding at the same time.I thought you had to treat first and then feed.This is my first year with bee's so thanks for any help.

Agreed RAB, I admit it's been an eye opener for me.

Frenchie, I'm doing both together.

Sorry to distract from this thread but I noticed Bobs Bees said he was applying Apiguard and feeding at the same time.I thought you had to treat first and then feed.This is my first year with bee's so thanks for any help.

a lot of beekeepers feed and treat at same time ( I do)

free

I'll leave the 2nd tray on for 3 weeks but AG obviously really does the business...
READ THE INSTRUCTIONS second tray in after two weeks and leave for FOUR weeks or until product is used up by the bees.

i think many people remove tray and eke after 4 weeks total and just smear any left over AG onto the top bars.

BTW - concur with rab - how many bees with deformed wings have been seen in the offendng hive(s)????

Latest posts

Back