Bees leaving hive after putting varroa strips in .

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi all ,
Have put some varroa strips on my nuc box this afternoon,for the first time they came from China,think that now it may have been a bad idea .I put 2 strips in the nuc the main ingredient in the strip is Fluvalinate. The bees immediately left the box ,making me quite anxious they eventually returned after a long period outside.
Opinions on best course of action .
1 remove the strips tomorrow.
2 leave them alone ,packet says they should remain for 35 days .
3 I have now ordered apiguard gel for my other hive should I put this in.If option 1 is considered the best course of action .
Many thanks for the guidance I'm sure will be posted .
John

3 I have now ordered apiguard gel for my other hive should I put this in
better option than loading the hive with pyrethroids, especially one that, in many areas mites have developed a resistance to.

The VMD approved fluvalinate is Tau fluvalinate product name Apistan made by Vita Europe. Personally I would never use the Chinese stuff. You may have to check for asbestos 🤣
It may be totally useless in your area if there is still resistance.

The VMD approved fluvalinate is Tau fluvalinate product name Apistan made by Vita Europe. Personally I would never use the Chinese stuff. You may have to check for asbestos 🤣
It may be totally useless in your area if there is still resistance.
Thanks ,Big lesson is being learned glad I asked for advice
John.

When I use the apiguard gel I assume this is based on a full size brood box ,and they say use 2 trays ,As I have a nuc colony what would you recommend appropriate treatment be .
John

When I use the apiguard gel I assume this is based on a full size brood box ,and they say use 2 trays ,As I have a nuc colony what would you recommend appropriate treatment be .
John
two half trays

John
Unless you want to faff about dividing a tray of apiguard in two you'd have been better employed using half biscuits of apilife var. Better still make friends with someone geared up for oxalic sublimation.

Having used OAV on my colonies Monday & Tuesday, the garden hive is dropping a good few mites (this the only one I'm monitoring closely). Wednesday about 100 mites dropped and today I checked at least double the mites most likely if I had counted triple as certainly the board was well populated.
The effectiveness of OAV is very good and just goes to show that the particulates that adhere to all surfaces still rub off on to the bees and cause the mites to drop /die off.

Round two for some of my hives tomorrow and the garden hive on Sunday.

Latest posts

Back