dead out, question varroa treatment...

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
checking fondant levels today and found a dead out

small cluster in double brood and both boxes packed with stores and a tub of fondant being accessed

thick pile of bees on OMF but none dead out the front

a lot of dead varroa on top of frames of LBB immediately under a fist sized patch of capped brood, which is not surprising as that is where all of the varroa would have been concentrated, but, i treated with apiguard in autumn and trickle treated a few weeks back

i dont count varroa but just routinely treat with api guard and trickle....should i consider starting to count and treating according to numbers rather than blanket treatment?

never sure of causes of dead out but varroa clearly a factor despite treatment (no signs of nosema etc)

I wouldn’t ever bother counting there will be varroa there. Even in this instance what difference would counting have made you would still have treated as you did do. Api guard is probably not the most reliable and I’ve always thought a little hit and miss… Not saying it’s bad but it has potential to be variable! Then top it off with long Autumn, given enough hives you will always find some that chuck you a curve ball.

There’s been a few reports of high varroa issues after Autumn apiguard treatment recently, unless I’m mistaken?

I question the wisdom of using the same miticide. From the stand point of resistance it makes more sense to alternate between different agents.

Apiguard, is hit and miss, especially with double brood. I have moved to sublimation as it is more consistent and seems to give better results. I keep meaning to use a thymol based treatment in the autumn to vary but it seems such a faff.

Apiguard depends on temperatures over 15C. If prolonged below that, the thymol will not work.
If I use it - and I rotate treatments -I use early August immediately after honey crop .. September here can be vairaible weather wise

I take your point….I would suggest in beekeeping terms though if you said miticide people would generally expect the chemical strip type treatments….

Acaricide

Overview

Types

Main results​

Description​

Description​

“Acaricides are pesticides that kill members of the arachnid subclass Acari, which includes ticks and mites. Acaricides are used both in medicine and agriculture, although the desired selective toxicity differs between the two fields”.

I also can’t see anything from the manufacturer referring to it as a miticide.
So is thymol a pesticide?… Your initial reference was also in regard to resistance, rather like Oxalic it’s a more physical effect on the mites so resistance is unlikely.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back