'Good tempered bees'

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was asking regards temperament if you breed from your F1 stock.

I was asking regards temperament if you breed from your F1 stock.

temperament is one of main selecting feature. Italian and Carniolan crossings are not bad.

But once I got pure Carniolans which were evil and very swarmy.
There are so many strains inside a race.

Hi John

I wouldn't give up on Scottish sources of bees so easily. I could name one or two that I know I could trust. You'll have the same issues with bees south of the border - some excellent suppliers of healthy bees, some more casual and even some that folk say should be avoided at all costs. The problem is knowing which ones of course.

There is even a supplier right in the heart of the worst EFB area to the north of me who has supplied bees to beginners around here. He has been inspected and is clear, and the beginners bees I've seen from him are fine too. Not that I'd recommend taking bees from central Perthshire to the far SW of course.

I'm not sure what the types around your area will be, but in much of Scotland mongrels with a strong tendency to native types predominate. Introducing Carniolans might be a pity - they are likely to be very swarmy (people say!) and the hybrids down the line may make beekeeping difficult for you and others in the area.

Interesting that you used to have lots of ferals locally. Other parts of Scotland seem to be hanging on to some ferals, although the one in the castle near me died out last winter and was recolonised last summer.

best wishes

Gavin

There used to be several colonies in hollow trees bordering the road past Port Logan gardens as well as several colonies in hollow walls in old derelict buildings.Now they all appear to be gone.Our local bees are all mongrdels,Iv'e had neucs from Graeham Sharp at Auchencruive as well as the usual mottly collection of swarms from local areas mainly from beekeepers who weren't aware their bees had swarmed.In warmer and drier climes down south ( the midlands ) I've had Italians ,Caucasians ,Brother Adam bees plus local hybrids.I'm not sure what bees I will get but am still suspicious of Scottish stocks.Obviously healthy stocks are a priority so we shall have to wait and see what transpires a bit later in the season.

The one I could recommend most wholeheartedly is in W Stirlingshire, well away from known disease and I've spent hours with him going through his bees. However he isn't taking orders yet.

Whats the best way of getting quieter bees Where is the best place to buy?

My advice would be to find a beekeeper near you that sells Nucs,that way they will be used to your local weather.

If it turns out the hive is a little stroppy you can always get a mated queen that is more calm,it will not take long for the new queen to have all her own bees in the hive to calm things down.

Latest posts

Back