God I love growing our own

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Anyone know of a genuinely blight resistant commercially available seed
  • Tomato ‘F1 Crimson Crush’ produces larger fruit weighing up to 200g that ripen well outdoors. This cordon variety has very good blight resistance, so is a great choice for affected gardens.
  • Tomato ‘Crimson Blush’ is a beefsteak that has been bred with the UK climate in mind and will crop from June to September. Start this blight-resistant variety as a grafted plant for extra vigour.
According to Suttons.

There are also some tomato varieties from areas with short growing seasons that fruit earlier thereby avoiding the worst effects of blight. I believe "Latah" is one.

James

• Tomato ‘F1 Crimson Crush’ produces larger fruit weighing up to 200g that ripen well outdoors. This cordon variety has very good blight resistance, so is a great choice for affected gardens.
  • Tomato ‘Crimson Blush’ is a beefsteak that has been bred with the UK climate in mind and will crop from June to September. Start this blight-resistant variety as a grafted plant for extra vigour.
According to Suttons.
Worth a try I suppose - Shirley F1 was a recommendation as it normally fruits early but the weather was not kind and they were late developing. As you know my track record of growing tomatoes is not good so I should be used to the disappointment by now.

There are also some tomato varieties from areas with short growing seasons that fruit earlier thereby avoiding the worst effects of blight. I believe "Latah" is one.

James
We plant really early which is why most of our tomatoes are over by the time the blight hits. We do it to avoid blight and because we like eating tomatoes in the summer rather than the autumn. But ..... we risk early frost. We have had leaves blackened with cold nights but it hasn't affected the final crop.

We plant really early which is why most of our tomatoes are over by the time the blight hits. We do it to avoid blight and because we like eating tomatoes in the summer rather than the autumn. But ..... we risk early frost. We have had leaves blackened with cold nights but it hasn't affected the final crop.
Do you set your seeds in a warm environment - I only have an unheated greenhouse so about the earliest I can get germination is March ... and this year Spring was so bad the plants really did not grow that much ... It's annoying because I have no chance with plum tomatoes for sauce as they take forever to ripen and by the time they are even of a size and green the blight strikes. My greenhouse is not big enough to take full size plants so I can't even protect them from blight.

Do you set your seeds in a warm environment - I only have an unheated greenhouse so about the earliest I can get germination is March ... and this year Spring was so bad the plants really did not grow that much ... It's annoying because I have no chance with plum tomatoes for sauce as they take forever to ripen and by the time they are even of a size and green the blight strikes. My greenhouse is not big enough to take full size plants so I can't even protect them from blight.
We get ours growing inside in a well lit room that never goes below 12⁰ end of Jan beginning of Feb but we use a grow light to stop them going leggy.
You really need something to keep the rain off them to reduce the chance of blight.
Whitefly are our biggest problem

Latest posts

Back