God I love growing our own

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bordeaux mixture (copper sulphate & calcium oxide) and Burgundy mixture (copper sulphate and sodium carbonate) have been used for many decades to prevent potato blight ie. best used pre-emptively rather than reactively. It was banned for amateur use about five years ago because, as far as I can tell, the copper can build up in the soil and harm earthworms. I have not managed to find evidence of harm to humans but I have asked the BMA to do a literature search. It is still used for spraying fruit trees. I have had scarcely any blight over several years so have not used the spray - so no danger of build-up in the soil. Both mixtures can still be purchased eg Vitax but now advertised as a mineral supplement for plant growth - JBM, do I remember that you use oxalic acid for cleaning the woodwork of your boat?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burgundy_mixture
Thanks. Our spuds are doing so well....in buckets....I might just do some pre-emptive control.
I've just looked up the Vitax copper mixture. Says it controls tomato blight too @pargyle

For my loganberries, in the spring before any new growth gets started I paint a splodge of white emulsion paint at the base of the previous years growth. It makes it really easy to identify what needs to be pruned in the autumn and what to leave.
Now that's a top tip.

For my loganberries, in the spring before any new growth gets started I paint a splodge of white emulsion paint at the base of the previous years growth. It makes it really easy to identify what needs to be pruned in the autumn and what to leave.
I tie a piece of red wool round the base of old growth. Paint is a good idea and easier than red wool tying.

- just cut the foliage off and lift the potatoes early - might be a bit smaller but that's nature isn't it ?
I see that RHS now advises that we shouldn't compost the infected foliage. Hitherto, I remember that composting was OK because, next season, the fungal spores will only arrive on the wind. The RHS site gives a useful link to BlightSpy website that predicts the risk (red, amber, green) of blight in any UK area. The whole of Suffolk is currently 'green' - so much for that prediction......
  • Infected material should be deeply buried (below the depth of cultivation), consigned to the local council green waste collection or burned, rather than composted (see 'Biology' section, below)

Last edited:
I see that RHS now advises that we shouldn't compost the infected foliage. Hitherto, I remember that composting was OK because, next season, the fungal spores will only arrive on the wind. The RHS site gives a useful link to BlightSpy website that predicts the risk (red, amber, green) of blight in any UK area. The whole of Suffolk is currently 'green' - so much for that prediction......
  • Infected material should be deeply buried (below the depth of cultivation), consigned to the local council green waste collection or burned, rather than composted (see 'Biology' section, below)
Yes ... I've always disposed of the infected foliage by burning it - same with the tomato blight as I believed the spores could be carried through to the next year. I usually mulch my rhubarb with the growing medium from the bags and pots as I've been loathe to waste it. According to some on here (JBM & others) the spores cannot survive in the soil and I assume in the compost bin .... But who knows ? The RHS should be offering good advice (we are members) so perhaps I'll ask them.

Which is kind of odd when you think about what happens to the council green waste collection: it gets composted, and these days a fair bit is mixed with the compost sold at garden centres and suchlike, so goes back onto domestic gardens.

I've been putting infected plants into the compost for many years. I see no evidence that it causes me a problem and I even "earth up" my potatoes with compost. I suspect the reason it's recommended to put it in the green waste collection or to burn it is just down to them not believing people will compost stuff properly, amongst others.

James

Yes ... I've always disposed of the infected foliage by burning it - same with the tomato blight as I believed the spores could be carried through to the next year. I usually mulch my rhubarb with the growing medium from the bags and pots as I've been loathe to waste it. According to some on here (JBM & others) the spores cannot survive in the soil and I assume in the compost bin .... But who knows ? The RHS should be offering good advice (we are members) so perhaps I'll ask them.
Hot composter might do it.

My Loganberries are very late this year and the fruits are very small compared to previous years - unless they start to big up I will probably leave them for the birds ... broad beans are coming into their own - 3rd sowing is already a foot high and I'm picking sowings one and two almost daily - the rain has discouraged black fly - no sign of them at all so far.
My broad beans are doing well also. No sign of blackfly.
Toms and cucs in the greenhouse doing well and cabbages are like triffids outside. I’ve also got a perennial kale that is taking on tree like proportions.View attachment 40380
Yes. My spinach is almost triffid like and my rainbow chard has gone bananas lol. My rhubarb is growing ike mad already got 2 drawers full I freezer.
Next pulling is going for rhubarb champagne

I usually mulch my rhubarb with the growing medium from the bags and pots as I've been loathe to waste it.
I noticed you said mulching rhubarb. Are you talking about the leaves ?
Is your rhubarb growing like mad this year ?
Mine has gone potty. I think it's the amount of rain as they are thirsty plants.

My rhubarb had its early spurt then slowed but has decided to crack on in the past two weeks. My wife cooks it with honey - I am not keen as I prefer it with a little sugar when stewing. The biggest advantage is that I am medically varroa-free. Now I wonder about the leaves on the top of the hive .............. don't start!!!!!

My rhubarb had its early spurt then slowed but has decided to crack on in the past two weeks. My wife cooks it with honey - I am not keen as I prefer it with a little sugar when stewing. The biggest advantage is that I am medically varroa-free. Now I wonder about the leaves on the top of the hive .............. don't start!!!!!
I roast my rhubarb with a sprinkling of brown sugar. It freezes brilliantly. I've got rhubarb crumbles in the freezer. But the next lot is definitely being made into rhubarb champagne 🍾 Cheers !

I love stewed rhubarb in a smoothie for breakfast in the morning.
3tbls of rhubarb
A banana
3tbls of skyr
20 hazel nuts
Topped up with soy milk and blitzed.
Nice high score on my Zoe diet! 😁

Latest posts

Back