God I love growing our own

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My wallnuts are falling like rain...not massive but loads of them this year!

I am looking for advice re autumn / summer raspberries …. I cannot remember which is which but I do have 2 blocks of raspberry plants that look quite different they both still have a few raspberries left. Is there a way to determine which is which? I am addicted s photo of each and Would be very grateful for any advice thank you

Attachments

• 2E6C8D88-CEC9-410D-A2EA-435B4111F430.jpeg
    2E6C8D88-CEC9-410D-A2EA-435B4111F430.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
  • B2FF76C6-240C-44BF-9597-36E1B282BAC8.jpeg
    B2FF76C6-240C-44BF-9597-36E1B282BAC8.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 0
I am looking for advice re autumn / summer raspberries …. I cannot remember which is which but I do have 2 blocks of raspberry plants that look quite different they both still have a few raspberries left. Is there a way to determine which is which? I am addicted s photo of each and Would be very grateful for any advice thank you
Post #132 in this thread I thought we nailed it then ?

Has anyone successfully over-wintered peppers?

I know it's done, but I've only seen people do it where they keep the pepper plants in pots all year round, so around now they prune back the plants and move the pots indoors.

I'd have to lift the plants because they're planted out in the polytunnel and put them in pots for the winter, which is what I did last year. Unfortunately not a single plant survived. I've no idea if it was lifting them that caused the problem, or doing it too late, perhaps the greenhouse where I kept them was just too cold or maybe it is something else that I've just not thought of.

I've got so many plants I want to bring indoors this year already what with the four pineapples and a whole load of tomato cuttings that I plan to pot up this weekend. If I add a whole load of pepper plants I think my wife might have a total sense of humour failure. What we really need is a conservatory, which would also provide space for her orchids (currently occupying almost every south-facing window in the house). Unfortunately the design (I use the word ironically) of the house doesn't really make one feasible.

James
James
You can overwinter with a 400watt hps light. Either in greenhouse or in doors.

James
You can overwinter with a 400watt hps light. Either in greenhouse or in doors.

Possibly a bit late to organise for this year given all the other stuff I have going on, but I was looking into grow lights anyhow, so I shall bear this in mind. Thank you.

James

This morning's harvest:

veg-plot-2022-089.jpg

I'm quite disappointed that I couldn't find any full-size purple pepper seed this year. Perhaps no-one but me likes them.

James

Possibly a bit late to organise for this year given all the other stuff I have going on, but I was looking into grow lights anyhow, so I shall bear this in mind. Thank you.

Can be used in a few different ways. Straight under light only at the correct day length. Or outside under cover to supplement weak day light or at the beginning or end of day to lengthen day

Are they F1 or can you save the seeds?

I'm fairly sure they're all open-pollinated. The problem is that peppers are quite, err, promiscuous and will pollinate with almost any other pepper in the area, so unless you do something to prevent that you'll usually end up with crosses.

James

I'm fairly sure they're all open-pollinated. The problem is that peppers are quite, err, promiscuous and will pollinate with almost any other pepper in the area, so unless you do something to prevent that you'll usually end up with crosses.

James
And how... Capsicums with Chillis...Whatever Next!

Had a good crop or sweatcorn this year and marrows /courgettes butternut squash in the poly tunnel are doing well I still need to dig potatoes but think they will have to stay in the ground now I,ve fracture my spine.Not the best of years for the garden or me.

Reactions: mbc
Had a good crop or sweatcorn this year and marrows /courgettes butternut squash in the poly tunnel are doing well I still need to dig potatoes but think they will have to stay in the ground now I,ve fracture my spine.Not the best of years for the garden or me.
Ouch! Trust you are on the mend?

think they will have to stay in the ground now I,ve fracture my spine.Not the best of years for the garden or me.
Just take things easy for a while, I managed to get a compound wedge fracture in the lower thoracic/lumbar region after a bad bash years ago and after a few months of being creaky carried on as if nothing had happened - they only picked it up after an MRI scan when I slipped a few discs on a training exercise preparing security for the 2012 Olympics.

I'm going to give Amish Paste another go next year, but I do also fancy trying Polish Linguisa. Physically they look a bit similar to the Olivade F1 that I've grown for several years, but I'd rather grow an open-pollinated version rather than an F1. I really must try blending some to make a Bloody Mary, too.

James
I am just sorting out tomato seeds for next year. Planning to grow Orange Parouche, Green Zebra, Noir de Crimee and Apero..Would welcome advice on a couple of medium size red tomatoes with lots of flavour. All will be grown in an unheated greenhouse. Anyone tried Y Ddraig Gogh?

Latest posts

Back