Glove Recommendation

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Haughton Honey

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Commercial
Number of Hives
Lots of Commercial hives.......
I'm sure that P*****s won't mind (nor, I hope, Admin) but I thought that I'd recommend a glove that I've been using this last season. Having tried leather, disposables and a few other variants this fits the bill nicely....for me at least.

I have no association with the company whatsoever, but just thought that a good product could do with highlighting!

httk://www.paynesbeefarm.co.uk/store/Gloves-Blue-Plastic-p-16325.html

Admin edit:
[Just replace the httk: with http:]

They are the same ones that I use from 'Another retailer' and I agree, they're great. I got myself a pair of leather gauntlets with my starter kit, but the bees really didn't like those and repeatedly tried to sting them, obviously much to my dismay as they tore themselves apart :eek:(
The new blue ones work a treat with the bees showing no interest whatsoever.
I have found the sizing to be quite generous though, so might have to go down a size before season really kicks off.

I'm sure that P*****s won't mind (nor, I hope, Admin) but I thought that I'd recommend a glove that I've been using this last season. Having tried leather, disposables and a few other variants this fits the bill nicely....for me at least.

I have no association with the company whatsoever, but just thought that a good product could do with highlighting!

Admin edit:

I have also gone onto these gloves, again from another company but would agree 100%. best gloves i have used so far!

Oh, and agree with Sabrina, very generous sizeing!

Last edited:
Thanks for this.
So, it's my understanding that you order size of gloves the same to the same size as the size of shoes you take, are you saying one should order a size smaller with these gloves?

Brian

I use beauticians gloves that can be bought from Capital. They are made of latex and powdered. 100 pairs for £4.99. They are brilliant - also, I have no connection with this retailer.

I have not done many manipulations, it is true, but I try not to wear gloves so get myself used to not having them on for those jobs where I will need freedom, such as clipping and marking a queen.

I have only used latex and marigolds thus far, though I do now have a pair of leather gauntlets due to buying a size too large for my missus.

Latex disposables every time. Put a couple of pairs on at the start of manipulations so one can be removed as they get "sticky". A couple of boxes for about £10 will last through the whole season.

Peter

Latex disposables every time. Put a couple of pairs on at the start of manipulations so one can be removed as they get "sticky". A couple of boxes for about £10 will last through the whole season.

Peter

:iagree:

I also wear Marigold with disposable vinyl over them. I change the viynl ones if I go from hive to hive in case of spreading nasties.

They also stop the build up of propolis on the marigolds.

Admin edit:

I tried these gloves last year. The bees did not penitrate the gloves when I had my mass stinging session.
I did find that they made my hands sweat a great deal. The gloves start to smell quite quickly which does not go away, even after washing.
I also 'nicked' a thumb on varroa mesh and due to the material they split right across the thumb. I am not sure if I left some toxin in the gloves, but even after washing the bees hated me in them.

My first year was marigolds. I used to use two pairs as they penitrated one.

This year I am trying some very thin leather gloves.

I am not saying they were no good, and they lasted me nearly a year. I do not yet have the experience to compare them with other items.

Just my two cents!

Thanks for this.
So, it's my understanding that you order size of gloves the same to the same size as the size of shoes you take, are you saying one should order a size smaller with these gloves?

Brian

No, Hand size and feet size dont match up.
You need to measure your hands properly

How to check your hand size

Checking your hand size.

Measuring around the palm and back of your hand in inches (exclude the thumb). This corresponds to your glove size.

bee-smillie

. . . My first year was marigolds. I used to use two pairs as they penitrated one.

This year I am trying some very thin leather gloves.

I am not saying they were no good, and they lasted me nearly a year. I do not yet have the experience to compare them with other items.

Just my two cents!
Thanks for the valuable insight Pete. So when your bees eventually get a bit frisky, it'll be two suits? LoL, for the chest and insides of the arms.

Two Marigolds. Left and right. When talking about disposable gloves, the consensus on the forum last year was:
Latex go sticky
Vinyl split very easily
Nitrile was the way to go
for what it might be worth. :)

Two other points.

Bees are attracted to the colour of blue marigolds - so much for my cunning wheeze of buying food grade gloves in bulk!

I have now switched to "long cuff" marigolds. Bees much less interested and if they do try and sting through the rubber it is not a big deal (it tends to be when I crush a bee lifting out frames). Rubber does seem to be less likely to hang onto sting pheremone.

They don't seem to bother with blue nitrile gloves and yellow or black marrigolds weren't a problem the last two years either.

Perhaps it appears that they attract bees because they walk all over your hands as you pick up the frames?

I tried these gloves last year. The bees did not penitrate the gloves when I had my mass stinging session.

think my bees must be stronger than your bees,

ok did not feel many stings through them but a end of season instead of soaking them in soda after manipulations i washed them and filled them with water--------looked like a cows udder with hundreds of mini fountains comeing out everywhere through mini holes

but i like them, i buy a new pair each spring at stoneleigh ( special offers)

I take size 5 shoes and bought size 7 in these gloves, which is what I would normally take in gloves, but think I should go for a size down.

I tend to use disposable ones over the top for 'sticky work' and full inspections. Have used Marigolds on many occasions with good results but had a scary incident where I was conducting inspection and looked down and noticed glove cuff had rolled down and exposed wrist!!

Bought gauntlets after that!

Latest posts

Back