Gift of a swarm

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grizzly

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Langstroth
Number of Hives
Finally i have been given the gift of a prime that did not come from my own stocks, cut them out this evening. nice local bees, should perk up my apiary gene pool nicely.

Nice big swarm that, what is the construction that they are in?

Thankfully a very rotten old style conservatory, due to be pulled down soon so they let me make a mess.

How the other half live!!!

I just spent 5 hours getting a swarm out of a car engine in a supermarket car park.
It was on the windscreen but quickly descended into the engine and under the fascia - finally ending in the wheel arch too...

At least the vacuum suction machine my lovely husband battled to construct came into full use - it worked well and damaged very few bees.

Have I got the queen- Lord knows- time will tell, but they are now in a brood box - they had better stay!!

you lot don't half 'faff' about! picked up a decent size swarm this evening. cut branch with bees from hawthorn bush, place in upturned skep, then invert skep onto white sheet with stone under edge of skep. 5 min job. drink cuppa and leave ( to attend allotment management committee meeting ) go back for the bees at 10 p.m.. all in skep, pick up cloth, tie round the skep, place bundle into back of van ( on plastic boot-tidy tray thingy ) drive home. simples! have left the bees in van overnight, will hive them tomorrow. ;)

Yep- (groan) but some are public duty!!
I get the others too- and last year I collected 3 prime from same property- his house was a total load of colonies in the hung wooden tiles. Taught him so well- the third swarm he had waiting for me in a large cardboard box- Eat my shorts Tonybloke :p

Latest posts

Back