Gas Vapourizer

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It looks to me like the gas vapouriser has too many issues with condensing. But, by a fortunate stroke of serendipity this discussion has come round to vaping from above - which, for those with an under floor entrance, is a good solution.

I think it is time to ditch the gas vapouriser and go back to the varrox type of vapouriser. The advantages are that you can easily insert it under an eke by simply making a notch in the wood. There's no problem with the heat on the crown board (wood or perspex) if like me you use a piece of slate to cover the feeding hole in the crown board - you slide the slate off the hole using the varrox then rest the varrox on the slate.

The final part of the process is you use a 12v pump used for blowing up air beds (or compressed air) which you insert through the side of the eke having drilled a small hole.. (£9.99 on Amazon - http://amzn.to/2wDeETT)

You can then watch through the perspex top as the vapour disappears down through the crown board as you switch on the pump..

No flames to worry about - no heat shields, no condensation.

It looks to me like the gas vapouriser has too many issues with condensing.

I think it is time to ditch the gas vapouriser and go back to the varrox type of vapouriser..

Nothing against a passive vaporizer like the varrox- Ive used one for several years.
If you have a handful of hives on a single site then the varrox does the job.
My requirement is:
1. Fed up with lugging a battery to out apiaries.
2. Not keen on going down the line of a sublimox and generator just yet.
3. Want something quick & simple when doing serial treatments every 5 days.
4. Want something lightweight that I can always have around just for those occasions you spot a colony that's broodlees so would benefit from a quick vape.

My last treatment session of over 40 nucs took 30-40 seconds per colony and as the CB's were already inverted I only had to remove some roofs and peel the duct tape off the holes - all done while the device was warming up. Only one significant condensation issue.
I'm not quitting yet. Waiting for my pop riveter to arrive before I reposition the heat arm further down the tube and remove another few inches,

Fashioned a heat shield from a motorcycle exhaust protector. Improved the vaporisor no end IMHO. Helps to guard the flame against the wind and it's actually possible to see the flame get deflected towards the pipe rather than disappear into the air. .

The bracket I fashioned does a good job of holding the vaporisor in the eke but I'm concerned the pipe can't hold the weight.

2g of oxalic sublimes in around 10s and the chamber is ready to reload immediately

Mark II gas Vaporiser

IMG_3164 (2).jpg
Modified the vaporiser by detaching the heat arm and reattached it further along the tube using my new pop rivet gun- very simple.
I also shorted the tube further by taking another 4" off.
I also repositioned the tube coming from the fan further into the OA cannister to try and reduce any blowback into the fan.
I also tried my new gas cannister- couldn't get any 'just butane' so I using butane/propane mix- £0.79p each.

Just vaped 20 nucs in 2 batched today. I reduced the Pre-heat time to 1.5min which worked OK and vaped for 40s. The main 'gush' of vapour comes out at around 10-15 sec with a smaller plume which lasts for 60s.
When using OA powder overheating the OA cannister results in some OA vapour escaping before you can swing the lid on. Using an OA tablet would probably reduce the loss of vapour.
I found that keeping the temp down such that the main boiling starts around 5s results in a better overal vape.
So far I'm very pleased with the simple modifications. No fan failure today.
The shortened tube also means the device will stand on the gas cannister without toppling forwards.
Will be vaping another 24 nucs and my 22 main colonies tomorrow. I'll be trying a 2g dose of OA for the first time!

Mines working great with the short barrel and larger heat shield.ive had no condensing once barrels up to temp and fan hasn't jammed either with condensed oa.probably done a hundred vapes now and its quick and portable

Fashioned a heat shield from a motorcycle exhaust protector. Improved the vaporisor no end IMHO. Helps to guard the flame against the wind and it's actually possible to see the flame get deflected towards the pipe rather than disappear into the air. .

The bracket I fashioned does a good job of holding the vaporisor in the eke but I'm concerned the pipe can't hold the weight.

2g of oxalic sublimes in around 10s and the chamber is ready to reload immediately

I've would avoid letting the pipe hold the weight of the vapouriser. Mine started to bend where it joins the OA cannister. Fortunately I was able to remove the bent portion when I recently shortend the tube.
I've got a few sections of left over tube so was thinking about using a short piece of tube aka the sublimox and detaching the connection with the fan and sealing the rear opening in the OA cannister.
As beefriendly suggested it may work just as well without the fan. If I keep the heat down it goes mainly on the OA cannister so there shouldn't be too much risk of burning by getting closer to the woodwork.
If it doesn't work it's easy to go back to how it is at the moment.

Mines working great with the short barrel and larger heat shield.ive had no condensing once barrels up to temp and fan hasn't jammed either with condensed oa.probably done a hundred vapes now and its quick and portable

Your overal barrel length is similar to mine now.
How long is your preheat?
Do you find you need to adjust the flame during treatment? Or do you just keep the gas fully open?
I agree about it being quick and portable. I may get round to changing the switch to a slide or push button switch at it does get in the way.

I'm still amazed that arm sticking down hasn't melted, looks closer than mine was. Guess I must have turned the heat up much higher than you.

I've taken a photo of mine and a video. If I can work out how to post them I will

I heat barrel separately with blowtorch to start and leave vapouriser going for a couple of minutes before using oa.most of the time I've had it on full

I'm still amazed that arm sticking down hasn't melted, looks closer than mine was. Guess I must have turned the heat up much higher than you.

I've taken a photo of mine and a video. If I can work out how to post them I will

Hi
I've had to post my videos on your tube and use a link

Hi
I've had to post my videos on your tube and use a link

Nice one, I thought YouTube but I've never uploaded a video before. I'll try and get my head around it tomorrow.

I used the eke but the wood has started scorching where the pipe enters so I need to staple a bit of heat mat around the hole.

Just finished my x3 OA nuc vapes. Did 26 today between showers without a hitch.
I'm really getting to like this gas vaporiser. Tried a warm up time of 1min today and worked spot on.
Will be using it for my main colonies in a couple of weeks so will see how it copes with 2g of OA

Did some double broods earlier with two 1g tabs with no issues

I heat barrel separately with blowtorch to start and leave vapouriser going for a couple of minutes before using oa.most of the time I've had it on full

On the video I pre-heated for around 2 mins. I'd say the flame is no more than 1/4 on. I think the heat shield has made all the difference

Hi
The fan in the device measures 40mmx40mmx20mm so if you get the same size it will fit. It's a DV 12V 0.76W model.
This is the cheapest one one ebay at £1.81
1Pcs DC Brushless Cooling PC Computer Fan 12V 4020s 40x40x20mm 0.13A 2 Pin Wire

I've ordered a 9V one to try but it is only 10mm deep so may need shorter bolts- I let you know if it's any better than the 12V model.

Did you get round to trying that fan after

Did you get round to trying that fan after

They only arrived the other day so haven't had time to try them out. Slow boat from China.
I'm going to shorten the exit tube some more by taking another 2" off it to reduce any chance of it condensing and blocking the tube. This should allow me to reduce the flame temperature so that when I put the OA powder in the chamber there is a delay before it vapourises. If the chamber gets too hot then some vapour escapes before you can swing the lid on.
Will let you know how the fan works in a few days.

Ive seen a few americans on youtube do it with canister. Seems worth a go.

https://youtu.be/2CP7MRQvLDo

Mark III version of the gas vapouriser. Now a further 2" shorter and almost pocket size!
Only thing that still upsets it is a side wind causing the flame to move off the OA chamber- only happened at one of my out-apiaries. It takes just over 1 minute warm-up-time and less than 30 seconds per treatment. Vaped 30 colonies yesterday.
When Vaping my double nat with a super on top through the hole in the CB you could see the vapour coming out of the entrance which was a good indicator it was getting through the boxes.
Will play around this weekend with the new 9V fan that arrived from China; current vapouriser has a 12V fan fitted.

Back