Gardens of Suburbia : Forage month by month

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
several bees on a small patch of Rose of Sharon in my garden - I hadn't realised it was that popular - bright, dark orange pollen

Parsnip!
We lost a whole row of parsnips in weeds last year, and forgot they were there through the winter. So we decided to leave them to shoot up. Wow! Easily eight foot tall, abundant feathery flower heads, and my honey bees on it in good number for nearly two weeks now It's the nectar they go for. Bumbles not interested, though a few wasps are.

Would anyone name this for me . Took a stroll over the road and found it all around the rape fields .
1deb9685b31b7c8bd4699bedbd0cae0d.jpg
20d2375586c0ff0d6d47a2ac464a3357.jpg
0c03424ba7883d523573ce1ab5a13362.jpg
bees all over it . Lots of bumbles too .

Looks like Phacelia (aka Scorpionweed). Think it's related to Borage. Bees go nuts for it.

Last edited:
Definately Phacelia - grew a patch on the allotment last year, bees loved it (although seemed more popular with bumbles than honeybees). Think it's used as green manure.

Mowed my "lawn" today - usually leave it a bit longer for the white clover but this year the bees don't seem interested - presumably the bramble is keeping them busy.

Lots of Meadowsweet out (it must be high summer....not)
Bees are coming home with green pollen :)

The meadow sweet is just starting here, they will be the odd vase full of the stuff placed around the cottage, it smells lovely.
On another note i'm sure a old beek told me it does not produce much nectar if at all any.

No nectar but the bees do bring in the pollen.
It does smell heavenly. Next time you're near some taste it :)
As recommended by Ray Mears :icon_204-2:
It's OK it's not poisonous

The humble Snowberry. The flowers seem to be no less attractive for all the poor weather conditions. I guess the Bramble is getting washed out. Masses of flower and nothing, not even bumbles, seem interested.

Further on the Parsnip. It's been in flower three weeks. Yesterday I counted thirty honey bees on it, just this one short row of roots we forgot to lift in the winter.

Delightful pics, Millet! Cheers!

Here in the lovely Tyne valley ... THEY'RE ON THE LIME AT LAST!
With it having been such an iffy season for the Lime trees, thick with un-opened flower heads for three weeks, it's interesting to see how that has spoilt it for some trees and the flowers have opened brown, while others are bright and creamy green and pollinators spending a long time on each flower.

Others things around here: snowberry is for ever, thistle has begun, and there is so much good nectar around that the honey bees are totally ignoring the Brambles and leaving that to the bumbles and hover flies.

A fallow field on the edge of the village is ablaze with red poppies, and my last inspection of hives showed copious quantities of that blue-black pollen stored.

There is definitely a flow on here.

Blackberry, thistle and BALSAM!!! Woohoo. Last couple of days started seeing the first few ghost bees coming in. They're on it big time.

From being really light on stores and needing feeding last week to bringing everything they possibly can in.

A real mixture of weird and wonderful colours coming in pollen wise. :sunning:

Back