Full top box empty bottom

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
Langstroth
Number of Hives
I managed in error (wrong click on supplier website?) to buy double deep langstroth brood box this year with frames when my new package of bees had almost filled their new box. However Whilst only a late June package installation they seemed to be doing well with the double deep on top and previously both boxes pretty full of brood and stores. However today's inspection showed top is almost full (9 frames) with lots of honey and capped brood in centre. No sign of eggs or open brood anywhere so hoping this is just because HM in readiness for winter (high up in Lancashire). Could not find her but not unusual. However, smaller lower brood box empty of brood and stores and just a few bees milling around in there. Bees are still foraging well with lots of activity and plenty of Himalayan balsam surrounding where we live. Will they move down to the lower box and fill the top with stores or should I do anything? They have emptied one Apiguard within a week and next treatment due next week which I was hoping to take them into winter.

You can leave them as they are until spring. If they need the lower box at least they can use it if it is there. They will eat food from the bottom up so it will be most likely empty in spring for you to remove if you want to.
E

Latest posts

Back