Frozen honey

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ShinySideUp

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Number of Hives
None, ex-beekeeper
Can honey be frozen without ill-effect? Obviously not for preservation purposes as it lasts years without doing anything but for the slow treatment of a cold. It is often said that a spoonful of honey is good for the sore throat but once swallowed it's gone so I wondered about making frozen cubes and sucking them to drip-feed the honey into the sore area.

Personally, I treat the cold with honey dissolved in a damn good malt. The honey kills the bugs and the malt makes me feel a lot better. :)

PH

Personally, I treat the cold with honey dissolved in a damn good malt. The honey kills the bugs and the malt makes me feel a lot better. :)

PH

That's a good idea except I hate whiskey and I'm not sure honey in a glass of red wine would taste all that nice. Perhaps I might like whiskey if it had honey in it (doubt it though).

The frozen honey thing is really to cool and sooth a sore throat but I don't want to destroy any medicinal properties in the freezing hence the question.

The frozen honey thing is really to cool and sooth a sore throat but I don't want to destroy any medicinal properties in the freezing hence the question.

Freezing won't harm it (unless you have one of these cryogenic chamber thingys in your utility room, that might make it a bit to chilled :D)

Yes, jbm, I thought so too but it's always nice in these cases to get a second opinion. I wonder what it's freezing point is? A bit lower than water I would think because of the sugar.

Yes, jbm, I thought so too but it's always nice in these cases to get a second opinion. I wonder what it's freezing point is? A bit lower than water I would think because of the sugar.

You try to frozen and you see, what happens.

Can honey be frozen without ill-effect? Obviously not for preservation purposes as it lasts years without doing anything but for the slow treatment of a cold. It is often said that a spoonful of honey is good for the sore throat but once swallowed it's gone so I wondered about making frozen cubes and sucking them to drip-feed the honey into the sore area.

I suspect it might be cold enough to cause a freeze burn to the tongue. Some cures are worse than the disease :)

Liquid honey won’t freeze solid- just gets very thick. Freezing will stop it crystallising though.

Obviously comb honey gets frozen a lot and ive never noticed any change, but i dont have a lab in the kitchen.....maybe dilute with a little water otherwise could be a little on the sweet side and aid the freezing

I'm quite surprised no one has said about honey and lemon , personal I drink alot of tea and have a tea spoon full with each mug . I've not had a cold this year at least. But on another note I do like a drop of dark rum no honey just ice pls...

I'm quite surprised no one has said about honey and lemon , personal I drink alot of tea and have a tea spoon full with each mug . I've not had a cold this year at least. But on another note I do like a drop of dark rum no honey just ice pls...

SWMBO swears by a concoction she makes after reading it in some magazine.loosely pack a jar with Thinly sliced root ginger and a thinly sliced lemon, top up the jar with honey until full, close the lid and leave for at least a week (She keeps it in the fridge for ages) after a week the ginger and lemon will have infused into the honey and it will have a thin jelly like consistency.
a teaspoonful in a cup of hot water makes a refreshing tea, soothes a sore throat and eases a cold, if she has a heavy cols she will sometimes add a pinch of cinamon

SWMBO swears by a concoction she makes after reading it in some magazine.loosely pack a jar with Thinly sliced root ginger and a thinly sliced lemon, top up the jar with honey until full, close the lid and leave for at least a week (She keeps it in the fridge for ages) after a week the ginger and lemon will have infused into the honey and it will have a thin jelly like consistency.
a teaspoonful in a cup of hot water makes a refreshing tea, soothes a sore throat and eases a cold, if she has a heavy cols she will sometimes add a pinch of cinamon

That sounds like a good recipe , probably not a good idea to make it with osr honey though , I'll forward that one to the better half cheers..

I freeze heather honey in jars then take it out four or five days before I need it and let it get to room temp,

Latest posts

Back