Free co-op seeds

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks muchly. Have also sent for some as have a wildflower plot on the go.

Thanks for link, Ordered 3 packs.
I do a bit of gardening work in my area for beer money so the seeds will be spread around the area, whether they like it or not. a bit of guerilla gardening called for.

Oh bum.

This thread made me wonder what happened to the free Friends of the Earth seeds we sent off for a few weeks back. Now I remember throwing away a FOE envelope earlier on in the week without opening it.:banghead:

Tell me, someone, how much pollen/nectar can be got from, say, a square metre of wild flowers?

Oh bum.

This thread made me wonder what happened to the free Friends of the Earth seeds we sent off for a few weeks back. Now I remember throwing away a FOE envelope earlier on in the week without opening it.:banghead:

The reason I asked, is that I received the free FoE seeds yesterday.

They say there is enough for half a square metre!

Still, it's a start - and a generous offer.

D

Oh bum.

Luckily the binmen hadn't been and the envelope was in the unclaggy recycle pile. Seeds now rescued and will be planted after our 40 days of rainfall have finished

FoE sent me some seeds... all 10,000 packers went within 24hours... clicked on their website to sign the bee petition and to wish Mr Cameron do the same!

Tell me, someone, how much pollen/nectar can be got from, say, a square metre of wild flowers?

Well, on the basis of common stocking densities I'd guesstimate you'd be looking at an absolute maximum of half a hive per hectare for honeybee benefit, one hive per hectare for pollination benefit, both of them at peak flowering and entirely dependent upon the wild flower mix. Ten thousand square metres in a hectare, sixty thousand bees in a colony... so your square metre of wild flowers will fully support between three and six bees.

OK, so it's "curry house mathematics" but it does bring home the scale both of what bees achieve, and the distances they cover to achieve it. Don't let it dissuade you from planting that packet of seeds though, every little helps :)

Back