8oz Hex Jar Prices and Bottle and Co

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

polymath

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
15 - 20
I need to buy about 600 8oz hex jars so I have been doing some research, all with lids including delivery:
C Wynn Jones £0.46.766 per jar
Freeman & Harding £0.45.313 per jar
Bottle Co. 432 pack and 216 pack plus delivery £0.41.58
https://www.bottlecompanysouth.co.uk/Wares of Knutsford £0.46.58

The clear price winner is Bottle Co but I have never heard of them before has anyone else heard of them, used them

Reactions: mbc
I contacted them this year as they were cheaper than FH but there was a reason I couldn’t order white caps on line, I was asked to phone the order through, even though the option for white was on the website. So I went to FH and was actually glad I did. The jars came ready lidded sealed and ready to go and….they were made in Britain. I didn’t know the origin of the Bottle Co stuff.
So for about 3p more per jar, I received an excellent service and an excellent product.
Had I gone with the Bottle co. I might have been surprised and delighted - just don’t know!

I have a lifetime supply of new 63mm twist tops so I tend to order glass that is compatible but try as I might I can never find an instance where it's cheaper (in my order quantity)to have no lids supplied.

I need to buy about 600 8oz hex jars so I have been doing some research, all with lids including delivery:

The clear price winner is Bottle Co but I have never heard of them before has anyone else heard of them, used them
I've always used bottlecompanysouth. Very good company; excellent service. Unfortunately this year they have stopped offering the traditional screw top 1lb jars which I like. Plenty of other choice though.

I have used them for the past few years and have never had a problem.
My most recent order was last Monday, they arrived Wedesday

I have used them for the past few years and have never had a problem.
My most recent order was last Monday, they arrived Wedesday
Question are the lids on and are they sealed in trays like Freeman and Hardy or do lids come separate in bulk.

Question are the lids on and are they sealed in trays like Freeman and Hardy or do lids come separate in bulk.
No, the jars come lidless in boxes and the lids came in a separate box, in a plastic carrier bag with the handles tied. All looks clean, but I run everything through the dishwasher.

I bought 168 12oz hexagonal jars from bottlecompanysouth recently, arrived promptly & well packed.
They didn't answer a pre-purchase email asking whether the jars were food clean so they went through the dishwasher & the lids were separate anyway. However I'm pleased with them and will buy again if I get purchasers for my honey.

Hello fellow beekeepers.

I have boxes of 48 hexagonal jars with gold lids but they are only 6 oz. We find they are a good size and for out as a more appealing size and price to customers. They come with lids on in individual bubblewrap, but they work out at 50p each. We bought a pallet between three beekeepers but unfortunate personal circumstances with one of us meant that the other two stood the cost of the lot, so we have some spare. Also, we have smaller 3 oz jars working out at £19 for boxes of 48. We are in Urmston, Manchester. Either you can pick up or I can deliver locally. Can post, althought it adds another £7.31 to the price.
PM if interested
Cheers

Edit: I removed your phone number, it's not really a good idea to advertise it on the net.

Last edited by a moderator:

We use them all the time, fast delivery and always the cheapest even though we have to pay highland postage. Anna is very helpful and her communication is swift to say the least.

I contacted them this year as they were cheaper than FH but there was a reason I couldn’t order white caps on line, I was asked to phone the order through, even though the option for white was on the website. So I went to FH and was actually glad I did. The jars came ready lidded sealed and ready to go and….they were made in Britain. I didn’t know the origin of the Bottle Co stuff.
So for about 3p more per jar, I received an excellent service and an excellent product.
Had I gone with the Bottle co. I might have been surprised and delighted - just don’t know!
That is odd as in my delivery from FH the lids were in a separate bag and the jars face down in trays with plastic seal...

Heard back, jars shipped in bulk and lids seperately, but need washing pre use. given £22 difference between them and F&H and hassle of washing 600 jars think i will use them.

Heard back, jars shipped in bulk and lids seperately, but need washing pre use. given £22 difference between them and F&H and hassle of washing 600 jars think i will use them.
Done more research, seems all the manufacturers break down the jars frome huge pallets. F&H say:
Are the jars sterile?
The jars are not sterile but are as clean as they possibly can be. The temperatures that jars are made at make it impossible for bacteria to survive the manufacturing process. Unless they are stored in damp conditions they will stay clean inside their pallet. Our jars are stored in a dry warehouse and packed straight into trays. When the lids are fitted onto the jars this ensure that any breakages, cardboard dust or other contamination cannot affect the other jars in the pack. Not all products have the lids fitted but lids are always sent with the item.

So they imply but in effect it seems all jars need to be sterlized on receipt.

I have used Bottle Company South for the past two times and did a thorough shop around. Last one end of 2021. Good value and quick delivery. Last purchased towards end of last year.

Had a quick look at some of hte companies but BottleCompany South who I have used for years don't seem to do the 1lb jars this year and for other companies "out of stock" comes up. Have just checked my stock but seem to be OK - just!

Latest posts

Back