Frame extensions

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nuc

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Hi folks,i've been wondering about some frame extensions to convert national brood to 14x12.
Looked at the ones on T*****s. Can anyone tell me if they are any good, do i need to put foundation or wax starter strips in them or is there a plan for making them anywhere ?
Thanks, Nuc.

Snap, I just finished making another 14x12 box and was going to put new frames in but I have loads of standard frames, I think what I will do is just change the side bars, saves a lot of messing around.

used em, burnt em. Bees didnt take to them at all and all the faffing of getting em on in the first place. Horrible imho.

baggy

22 side bars £11.00 postage £7.00, I could post these for £3.25 rip off

not worth the money

if you put standard frames in a 14x12 the bees will extend the standard frames themselves to 14x12, especialy if you replace some of the old frames with new 14x12 foundation.....just makes inspection " interesting" in warm weather

Are you transferring a standard frame Nuc or a standard hive into the 14x12

If you really want them...I can post some if you match the postage...bought and never used

Thanks for all the replies. I bought 2 nucs last year on standard national brood frames and put them straight into 14x12 brood boxs with new frames of 14x12 foundation. The bees did extend them down but the comb was fragile and often on inspection large pieces of comb fell off and any brood in the pieces perished. Wondering how i can get round this but maybe the best way is to gradually exchange them for full 14x12 frames with foundation.
I know some people like to cut this extra comb off for varroa control but quite a bit of it is worker brood comb and i needed the bees.
Anyway, don't think i'll bother with the extensions. Thanks, Nuc.

I've put national frames straight into jumbo l/s with no extensions. The important thing,which you have now recognised is to gradually transfer them to the regular size frames by introducing these next to the brood nest and then gradually work the smaller frames to the outside edge of the brood box.

I asked this question last year, ignored the advice and bought two sets. Used one; the other is still in its plastic wrapping.

They use Hoffman converters to attach the two side parts. The bees propolise these to the side walls so when you pull (eventually, in frustration, you pull really hard) at the top bar, the upper part comes away leaving the lower part welded in place.

The propolis mess all over the side walls becomes such a problem that you have to switch to a new brood box so that you can clean it off properly.

A good idea on paper but they just don't work.

Latest posts

Back