Foxes removal

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'd shoot the traveller children on sight, the fox I might give the benefit of the doubt.

Only kidding realy.

My experience to date. Foxes, a couple of hours lost sleep, sent to investigate a horrendous rape, turned out to be urban foxes doing what urban foxes do. A slightly trashed rose bed, same cause. Much amuzement watching a young fox startled by a grass snake.

Travellers. Two thousand in stolen property, Probably got them 200 on e-bay, six thousand in damages some deliberate and unnecessary. A snotty 16 year old policeman who said "Well you're insured aren't you".

My wife would like hens but until we can mount a 24 hour guard it isn't gonna happen.

I thought I was being stupid to start this thread.

I now know I was. thanks guys.

not sure why I bother with this stupid forum anymore.

Come on .. you enjoy it really ! It's better than watching people watching television on the telelvision ... isn't it ?

Seeing the funny comments about this type of animal on another thread I would like to put my head about the parapet and ask.

Whats the best way to remove them in a town environment. there is a particular one that is trying to kill my chickens. it is actually trying to rip the wood apart on the chicken run frames to get to my chickens. Actually saw him doing it. and as I have 15 chickens I really don't want him in the house.

You could either use a humane trap (I think also suggested by Fatbee) and get the fox shot or taken away.

I watched a program a couple of years ago where there were pest controllers who had rifle licences which allowed them to shot foxes in urban areas, as in peoples gardens, not out in the streets. Would work if you had an upstairs window which over looks the area the fox is trying to get into.

Come on .. you enjoy it really ! It's better than watching people watching television on the telelvision ... isn't it ?

Wouldn't know I don't watch tv. Especially that Carp, gave up watching most of it when Big Bro started.

Not so much a bee forum anymore, start a thread and it attracts some of the 'best' in our society to vent their prejudices. Pity, used to be fun place.
S

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Not so much a bee forum anymore, start a thread and it attracts some of the 'best' in our society to vent their prejudices. Pity, used to be fun place.
S

More like a Bigot and B****** forum not bee forum.

OK, I give up.
I was defending pine martens not foxes
I'll stick to bees of which I know little as well

S

Its been sleep time for bees so i guess there's not much to talk about bee wise, when they wake up and spring has warmed up i'm sure more bee related topics will be started, its the same with other forums once the chosen subject is out of season all hell breaks loose, that is why it is called the silly season.

Its been sleep time for bees so i guess there's not much to talk about bee wise, when they wake up and spring has warmed up i'm sure more bee related topics will be started, its the same with other forums once the chosen subject is out of season all hell breaks loose, that is why it is called the silly season.

I don't think the lack of bee activity should be an excuse for some of the comments on this forum.
I don't know about anyone else but the winter is a time when I make plans, repair equipment for the next season. I certainly don't have time or inclination to dream up some of the ideas espoused on the forum lately......some comments IMHO are bordering on insightful and potentially illegal.
S

Huh!
I think you should protect your hens sufficiently.
It's not everybody's right to keep free range hens. If your hens are predated by anything then you have to secure them or buy your eggs from the supermarket.

:iagree::iagree::iagree:

We lost three hens to a predator - dont know what - but I don't blame the animal that killed them, I blame myself for not making the chicken run and coop more secure.

Our remaining chickens are in a temparary coop and run that I have made like a fortress while I build a proper Chicken Fort Knox for them to live in.

Andy

I was going to ask you to explain why it, in your opinion, is not appropriate but I just can't be bothered. I haven't spent much time on this forum for the past couple of months and now I remember why.

Maybe because you compared a domestic animal killing a domestic animal with a wild animal killing a domestic animal. Different entirely, that's why. Do you expect to make the statement 'unfortunately these serial killers are protected' without it being challenged? Come on, nothing to get your feathers all ruffled about.

:iagree::iagree::iagree:

We lost three hens to a predator - dont know what - but I don't blame the animal that killed them, I blame myself for not making the chicken run and coop more secure.

Our remaining chickens are in a temparary coop and run that I have made like a fortress while I build a proper Chicken Fort Knox for them to live in.

Andy

What would you do if you had rats getting in and stealing the eggs and chook food and also spreading diseases.

What would you do if you had rats getting in and stealing the eggs and chook food and also spreading diseases.

You have the hens in a rat proof run.
Weld mesh all round.
Then....get a night sight for the .22 or borrow a terrier or bait some traps.

You have the hens in a rat proof run.
Weld mesh all round.
Then....get a night sight for the .22 or borrow a terrier or bait some traps.

Its hard work making anything rat proof Erica and i would kill them pretty quick myself but to be honest its no different to killing a fox that so many folk are against but they will kill rats without a thought.

The problem has happened because of poor husbandry.
You need to keep all the food in rat proof containers, metal dustbins are great and take 2 bags of feed.
If necessary put bait down to deal with the immediate problem, being careful to remove bodies each day.
I have had my hens for 10 years and yes lost some to foxes, my fault, electric netting battery not charged, holes in fence, not the foxes problem, it's mine and I don't blame them if I fxxk up.
I don't see any value in blasting with Buck shot or sending dogs after them, just deal with the problem you have created as humanely as possible and prevent it from happening again.
May we talk about bees please and stop this forum being taken over ?

S

PS rats spread leptospirosis when they pee over things, it is also spread by domestic animals who have been kept in unhygienic conditions or have come into contact with an infection source

Phew! for a moment, I thought we were talking about Football and the top of the Premiership!
(Leicester fan and proud! :) )

:sorry:

Back