Hi from Newry ,Northern Ireland

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beezinthevent

New Bee
Reaction score
Number of Hives
Hi everyone,I'm just looking for some advice. I'm not a beekeeper but have been thrown head first into the bee world! A colony have decided to build a hive in a vent above my front door. It blew off in latest wind and suddenly we have these new visitors,a massive swarm. I've got onto a local beekeeper and waiting to hear back from him but the only options I think I have is 1. A bee box placed over the vent and hoping they move into it
2. Rip up floor boards and remove the hive(which terrifies me).
Bees are amazing I don't in any way want to kill them. I have two young children and we can't go outside due to massive bee activity,they are very frantic at the opening of the vent so i worry they are protective.
Bizzare one I know! Any advice appreciated!
Video taken from neighbours house

Attachments

• VID-20220526-WA0006.mp4
    558 KB
Hi. I can’t see much from your video.
Do the bees look large and black and are they dancing around the vent frantically?
I which case they are bumblebees.
If they are honey bees the colony will need to be removed.
I can put you in touch with somebody who might be able to help.

They are honey bees! Here is a little guy that someone brought in on their shoe. A bee keeper has called to have a look but they are very frantic he couldn't get near them.

Attachments

• 20220526_144907.jpg
    20220526_144907.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 11
Thank you for this,I was thinking they are hardly going to like the box when they've decided they like living in my house ! I'll contact them .
Yes good luck. It’s a professional job. I have bees in a box on my putting shed roof about ten feet from the ground. We walk past there countless times a day and they are not interested in us.

Latest posts

Back