Foxes removal

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
May we talk about bees please and stop this forum being taken over ?

off topic chat Chat about anything and everything not connected to Bees and Beekeeping

if it upsets you it's easy enough not to click on the box :)

if it upsets you it's easy enough not to click on the box :)

Would prefer this section didn't exist as it only gives a voice to some unpleasant posts which spill over into other sections. I am sure there are many forums out there for these discussions, a bee forum is not one IMHO
S

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The problem has happened because of poor husbandry.
You need to keep all the food in rat proof containers, metal dustbins are great and take 2 bags of feed.
If necessary put bait down to deal with the immediate problem, being careful to remove bodies each day.
I have had my hens for 10 years and yes lost some to foxes, my fault, electric netting battery not charged, holes in fence, not the foxes problem, it's mine and I don't blame them if I fxxk up.
I don't see any value in blasting with Buck shot or sending dogs after them, just deal with the problem you have created as humanely as possible and prevent it from happening again.
May we talk about bees please and stop this forum being taken over ?

S

PS rats spread leptospirosis when they pee over things, it is also spread by domestic animals who have been kept in unhygienic conditions or have come into contact with an infection source

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
A What is the difference in killing a rat to a fox.

B i would talk about bees in other forum sections but i'm not a seasoned beekeeper able to answer questions and i have little to ask at the moment, however i have killed loads of foxes and lots of other vermin, so i can help with that problem. ;)

Its hard work making anything rat proof Erica

I have my hens penned at the bottom of the garden in an area about 50feet by 50feet. Their walk-in run is made of weld mesh panels and is floored with the same mesh. NO rats. Blooming' collared doves get in to steal the food though

Their walk-in run is made of weld mesh panels and is floored with the same mesh. NO rats. Blooming' collared doves get in to steal the food though

as will the rats if they want to - they'll climb any height and fit through a hole less than an inch in diameter (as my canaries once found out)

While you culling is needed as a tool in maintaining realistic population levels of so called "vermin" other methods should be considered like securing sources of their food e.g making sure rubbish bins are used and are rat/fox proof, well maintained protection of hens or having them roost in trees. Population explosions are usually down to human screw-ups.

I 100% agree :iagree:
Are we dealing with folk who have moved from city life to country life, because as far as i'm aware anything that causes trouble is dealt with in one way or another bee it a mouse or a Fox they get sent to bed all the same.

I used to be like you Millett - doves, starlings, sparrows coming in to eat the cattle food - anything that moved was shot but now I'm very much live and let live. Starlings and sparrows are much rarer around my way and thinking back we were just lazy at keeping food covered etc. I've gone the other way now and no interest in shooting. Have no issue with those that do as long as they respect that some people aren't in to destroying life.

My daughter fed a fox every day in Chiswick Park. My wifes friend had a three legged fox that she saved as a cub from a trap, it was quite happy living with the dogs. My grandad had a cat and the budgie slept on the cats head. Perhaps some humans need a bit of domesticating :D

I worked on a big gas plant many moons ago, i used to take rabbits in for this vixen too feed its cubs, it caused no harm so it was left alone.

Image002-004_zpswpnfdenh.jpg

as will the rats if they want to - they'll climb any height and fit through a hole less than an inch in diameter (as my canaries once found out)

I've only ever once seen a rat here in daylight; on the bird feeder.
The traps are set permanently so maybe that deals with them.
The bait stays there for ages then for maybe a week or two it goes, then all is quiet again.

I 100% agree :iagree:

Do you think HM might have been having a laugh, coz it would be funny to be blasting doves in the garden with a shotgun.

Are we dealing with folk who have moved from city life to country life, because as far as i'm aware anything that causes trouble is dealt with in one way or another bee it a mouse or a Fox they get sent to bed all the same.

I'm a Townie and I have learned to play by country rules. That hasn't removed my compassion though.

Do you think HM might have been having a laugh, coz it would be funny to be blasting doves in the garden with a shotgun.

I'm a Townie and I have learned to play by country rules. That hasn't removed my compassion though.
11.5ftlb Air rifle is more than capable so there's no need for a scatter gun. ;)

The bait stays there for ages then for maybe a week or two it goes, then all is quiet again.

The usual story with rats - a load moves in, you bait them then it's quiet then until the next migration - they're moving around now actually - with srping around the corner it's the best time to get them as the bait is particularly effective on pregnant females. (not that they ever stop breeding!

Latest posts

Back