fox

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigal123_123

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Not in a great mood today lost all my light sussex last night to a fox it has chewed through the bottom of a shed door and wiped the lot out:rant:

Not in a great mood today lost all my light sussex last night to a fox it has chewed through the bottom of a shed door and wiped the lot out:rant:

We get a fox attack once or twice a year. We're very careful to shut them in by dusk but when a fox gets old or very hungry it'll take them in the day.

Once they get a taste they always come back so i have to shoot them. I don't like doing it but it's the way it's got to be.

Darren.

Can i just add that poisoning foxes is illegal.

If the bodies are found and tested you could be facing a prison sentence, not to mention a back lash from the fluffy bunny brigade.

i havent personaly baited the dead a gamekeeper friend of mine did it didnt know it was against the law will sign off an go an lift the bait then:dupe:

i have a brilliant fox alarm in the form of a Harris Hawk, she screams everytime he comes into the garden! and he gets spuds thrown at him!:)

Can i just add that poisoning foxes is illegal.

If the bodies are found and tested you could be facing a prison sentence, not to mention a back lash from the fluffy bunny brigade.

Not only that but people who boast about poisoning should keep quiet when it comes to the effect of pesticides on bees.

ive now nipped down to lotti only two min walk and lifted bait and will burn in morn has anyone got plans for a live trap thanks

depends, if you can stay and watch, i used a wheely bin with the piece of string technique and it worked very well, you just need to make a latch so the lid that drops down stays down

a cage is normaly around 450 to 600mm square and a about 1200mm long

just been on fleebay to buy one jesus there expensive :ack2: think i,ll have a go at making my own bin sounds like a good idea but how would you transport fox for release before i upset anyone else:blush5:

thought it was fox proof had no other attacks in 6 years ive had the allotment it chewed through a shed door after chewing through chicken wire run so what else should i have done:beatdeadhorse5:

just been on fleebay to buy one jesus there expensive :ack2: think i,ll have a go at making my own bin sounds like a good idea but how would you transport fox for release before i upset anyone else:blush5:

How about calling the Council's pest control officer and telling them that there is a wild fox that has got itself caught in a wheely bin. Can he send someone to take it away as you don't feel qualified to deal with it. If they prevaricate, ask them if you should call the RSPCA and let them know that the council are passing the buck.

Then when someone eventually arrives, make sure that they don't release it locally because that would constitute an offence and you would feel obliged to report it. Suggesting strongly that it should either be despatched quickly or treated for it's obvious headache.

So many regulations . . .

thats the problem with "catching foxes " as you cant do much with them afterwards.

shifting foxes from one area to release to another is totaly illegal, unless of course you are the RSCPA in which case i have seen and heard of them releasing townie foxes in the country side many times. which also shows my vile disgust to them.

so lets talk wheelie bins. several "fairly" quick ways to kill a fox once you have got hold of it.

shot guns are quite good so are fire arm rifles, but you cant use them in birmingham( the noise frightens the police)

how about once its traped in the bin. confining the fox to one corner so you can physicly grab hold of it, then once you have it by the struff of the neck how about a quick and hard blow to top of its neck to kill it.

you are not allowed to shoot foxes with air rifles as they are classed as under powered but i have heard that a pellet at very close range into the head via the eye/ear works very well

take it to the vets. tell them its a family pet that has gone wild!!

go buy it 400 greasey chicken wings, heart attack in 48 hours

I couldnt agree more with your dislike of the rspca , dont donate to their cause , it just encourages them !

Foxes are just about ready to cub at this time of year , or possibly have in one or two mild areas . This means for those of us with stock of any sort extra vigilance is required .

As far as destruction of the offender is concerned , I live trap (I dont like snares) and then dispatch with a 22 rimfire . Quick and clean . They are not my favourite animals but, making them suffer is not an option .

Pete , I am trying to find the guidelines from BASC re shooting of foxes with an air rifle . From memory I think they word it along the lines of ' ensuring a humane kill'. Its a bit airy fairy and I wouldnt do it at range but for close quarter destruction it would probably be acceptable .

G

allready tryed pest control officer after a earler attack on a gents ducks and they wont have anything to do with it would try rspca but alot of the older guys are reluctant to trust them is it illegal to transport it away and have it shot by gamekeeper thanks

Back