Rodent damage

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Full the container with gas?
Argon works well from my experience as it's odourless, non-irritant, and heavier than air.
Most people won't have a cylinder lying around though!
What about propane and a match…..

My Issue at present is the squirrels. In the Autumn of 2021 I trapped and/or shot 17 in 12 days. My friend 200m away did the same and probably killed more. WE had relatively few last year but this morning I had 6 in my garden. I have only removed five since Christmas as I have been having issues with my fancy American .22 rifle. I am collecting it from an expert today and will have to confront the importers and probably the manufacturers.
As Arnie said 'I'll be back'
so watch out you critters!!!!

Found a rat shivering on top of one of the compost bins just now. Didn't have any 4x2 handy, but the back of a shovel did the job. I suspect I may have been putting it out of its misery anyhow.

James

Found a rat shivering on top of one of the compost bins just now. Didn't have any 4x2 handy, but the back of a shovel did the job. I suspect I may have been putting it out of its misery anyhow.

James
sounds like it's picked up a dose 1G poison somewhere

You’ll never get rid of rodents, not if you have bird feeders, chickens, horses etc all spilling feed and dogs making the use of poison risky; they pick up and chew poisoned rodents.

Going right the way back to the original question… why not just clean the gear and reuse it?

I saw one post about sterilising which is belt and braces but are frames with remains of rodents ‘mess’ on them a problem for the bees or humans?

I ask because we’re exposed to this type of thing everyday, each time you put your lips to a can of drink or bottle… what do you think roams the warehouses when no one is about?

Aside the few people contracting Weil’s disease each year from cans and bottles (might be better these days) you’d never give it a second thought so was just curious if this is bad for the bees(?) and explained the subsequent thread attempting to make rodents extinct? 😜

it's the fact it could contaminate the honey which humans consume.
As for that old chestnut about warehouse contamination etc. Stop gleaning your 'facts' from facebook
And as for pets picking up poisoned rats, if you are following correct IPM measures you should be checking regularly and clearing away any carcasses.

it's the fact it could contaminate the honey which humans consume.
As for that old chestnut about warehouse contamination etc. Stop gleaning your 'facts' from facebook
And as for pets picking up poisoned rats, if you are following correct IPM measures you should be checking regularly and clearing away any carcasses.
Hi @jenkinsbrynmair, appreciate you confirming it’s a human concern and not so much for the bees.

My source for the warehouse contamination was actually a health and safety risk assessor but decades ago. At that time the suggestion was people did get ill this way but he quoted 6-7 cases a year and implied pub cellars were included… whilst we all stood in a bar drinking bottled beer.

Perhaps he was just putting the frighteners on us, but as we’d already had 6-7 beers each we concluded we were a lost cause and just carried on popping bottle caps.

As for the rats, I’ve not taught our rats to sit and wait patiently to die after eating poison so wouldn’t risk using it, but that’s a personal thing. I also get a great sense of satisfaction dispatching rats with an air rifle, and can also vouch for the peanut butter trick to keep them still.

Oh dear, now I’m doing it, back to posting about ‘plinking’ rats!!! 😂

I no longer have to step over the rats on my way to stare at the beehives, but one fat fella is still hanging around.
I assume that the consumer-grade bait has less poison per sachet as I just laid down the 62nd, 10g pack!

Has anyone ever tried making a homemade chicken feeder, like those you see made with plastic pipes that claim to prevent spillage?

If so did it work, as I’m sure starving the chubby rats out without starving my ladies would help massively?

Latest posts

Back