Foundation Free Frames

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Indeed. The amount of time that would save is huge if you think about it, especially with wooden permanent strips. No fiddling every year... i hate making up frames, and wiring frames, nailing wooden strips in against foundation and inserting foundation for me is like pulling teeth!

If I pay myself a minimum of £10 an hour, add the cost of foundation, then foundation'd frames for me is an expensive exercise.

I am yet to extract more than a couple frames of honey though, or use a big centrifuge extractor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I only use them wireless in brood wouldn't in supers unless cut

I only use them wireless in brood wouldn't in supers unless cut

It works OK in an extractor - but you need to have frames that are fully filled out and ideally not fresh wax - second year frames are much more up to being spun. I've spun all of mine in my tangential extractor and not had much in the way of breakage - you do have to be a bit gentle getting them up to speed but it's not something I worry about. If a few bits of comb come off the bees will repair them.

I was impressed with your bamboo skewer idea, LJ, so I've made up a dozen or so frames already.

I already have some foundationless frames in one hive, but being a novice I worry about mishandling them and having the comb drop out. The skewer supports will give me more confidence to go completely foundationless.

Back