Foundation Club?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Divide roughly into 400 quid lots (or the most economical) for distribution from some central points? Or maybe enough eventually to send a van around most of the country?

Haven't counted my stocks and expected needs yet, but fairly considerable (as a hobbyist) but likely over 100.

The bigger boys, who get their VAT back, probably won't want to join in, but there could be some gain for all.

Regards, RAB

I think its a great idea but will have to turn down the idea of me holding the money.

I have enough to do as things are and think it a good idea to start to share the work around a bit.

Its good of members to nominate me though :cheers2:

I think its a great idea but will have to turn down the idea of me holding the money.

I have enough to do as things are and think it a good idea to start to share the work around a bit.

Its good of members to nominate me though :cheers2:

That'd be looking like Poly Hive then?

The numbers are getting interesting.

I will make a call over the next couple of days and see what can be done.

I have to say I am very pleased to see the forum getting financially active.

Having had my fingers burnt before I am going to make a suggestion here.

When we get to potting an order together, and if it is a seriously big one it may be that we can get a good deal by buying off season say in Feb? Or even Jan.

I propose that payment will be made in full via Paypal to Admin before the numbers are accepted on the order. Then there is no fear of defaulting and the pot is able to pay out in full to the vendor.

PH

Payments via PayPal must allow for fees, or else the admin would be short for the final payment. Or can you transfer money without attracting fees?

I'd be happy to use a discount group if it was viable, not just on cost, but won't drive the individual(s) mad to whom it falls to be the point of distribution.

Fair enough Admin, and I sugggested you and Paypal as it is already in place plus you are the one universally trusted person on the site.

So.......... where next. I need to have a think as to how this can be organised.

BACS is the obvious way to go as is a Foundation bank account but I will want trustees to assist me. Hedgerow and Heather would be my automatic choices but if others want to volunteer than the door is open.

I am off the keys until later as I have to take the wife for a MRI scan on her back.

PH

if money is sent as a gift on Paypal the sender inputs the amount to be sent, and is charged a small fee on top,

the recipient then receives the full amount so will not be out of pocket by the amount of the fees (if that makes sense)

I am happy to buy a load and people pay me on collection - as long as under £1000!!
So if I know who and how much, beforehand- job done

I am happy to buy a load and people pay me on collection - as long as under £1000!!
So if I know who and how much, beforehand- job done

I wouldn't personally, someone will land up buggering you about (whether un-intentionally or otherwise) and you could land up with x number of sheets of foundation that you dont need, or even worse for a hive format you dont use.

what then? ebay? hope to re-coup the cost?

I think PH's suggestion of only ordering what has been paid for up front is the least hastle way of going ahead.

sorry, also meant to say that I'll be happy to assist in moving some foundation down to the southwest, I work in Bristol and live in somerset so am regularly on the M5, I occasionally travel up to cambridgshire as well :)

I'd be interested - prob need in the region of 40-50 wired brood and 40 super.

Meeting with Beek friends in my village Wednesday to decide on our joint winter orders so this is very timely.

I wouldn't personally, someone will land up buggering you about (whether un-intentionally or otherwise) and you could land up with x number of sheets of foundation that you dont need, or even worse for a hive format you dont use.

what then? ebay? hope to re-coup the cost?

I would only be dealing with a proportion of the order and I think we are only talking about standard brood, 14x12 and super so its ok.
I have enough beekeepers down here that would clear any back log. The foundation will store in a clean dry cupboard. I shifted 40 boxes of jars easily..
Don't worry about me.... never made a loss yet:coolgleamA:

ummm i would like dadant shallows,,, now all i need is someone to Sail :) to the IOW Hmm
I wonder :):):):):)

Ok ok , i will be the Isle of wight depot :D

It may be simpler if someone looks into becoming a KBS distributor for your area. Run it as a small business. It is up that person to then decide whether they make a small profit or just cover costs.

I have heard that KBS have done this in the past, but the orders over a one year period would have to be worthwhile.

I heard yesterday that Thornes have dropped all their agents. Interesting.

I spoke to KBS and we can gain an edge by bulking up our combined order. When we know what it is he will give us a figure, a figure some percentage points better than in his brochure so there is a saving to be made here.

Please do not ask me for a precise figure as neither he nor I know it yet as it depends on the all up value we ask for.

We will need to have the date for last orders set, and given what he told me yesterday I think we are looking at the 14th of Feb.

I would like some thoughts form others as to how we organise it.

PH

yes, We lost Thornes from local supplier, Thats why they went local- and I am not happy with result.

If we have, say, 6 'suppliers, in the country- and we indicate to the forum who and what area- then all people in that catchment contact them with order and when complete (including local Assoc orders)- we send to you to put into one order- and they work out discount from that number. They can deliver to each 'supplier'.

Payment for each area- up to that supplier to decide . I am ok to pay and reclaim on collection.

Last edited:
For this to work I seriously think the ground rule is payment with the order, and non refundable once paid. Other wise some are going to put in massive numbers and then back out when they realise what the cost is.

It's very easy to say oh it's only so much and quite another matter when the car needs an exhaust and the payment for foundation is due.

This will have to be done as above I feel.

PH

Latest posts

Back