thoughtful comments only please

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Murox

Queen Bee
Reaction score
spent this evening with a group of 'experienced ' beekeepers and some "wannabes" . End result was to resurrect an older defunct association as it had funds and various other attributes. Managed to ensure a probable chair who had little beekeeping experience but oodles of common sense, a secretary with a couple of years and similar with the treasurer. The inaugral group comprised of typical older " I have had bees for many years" types and "wannabees" and me of course.
As its a new club I wondered if any have some useful advice for the future. Currently its a "get it all together" and "see what we have exercise" with an update meeting later in October, but its clear it will develop into something

If you create an online presence, use a website. Everyone can access those. A lot of beekeepers refuse to use Facebook, Whatsapp and other social media, on privacy grounds; and SM don't seem to foster coherent / structured thinking.

spent this evening with a group of 'experienced ' beekeepers and some "wannabes" . End result was to resurrect an older defunct association as it had funds and various other attributes. Managed to ensure a probable chair who had little beekeeping experience but oodles of common sense, a secretary with a couple of years and similar with the treasurer. The inaugral group comprised of typical older " I have had bees for many years" types and "wannabees" and me of course.
As its a new club I wondered if any have some useful advice for the future. Currently its a "get it all together" and "see what we have exercise" with an update meeting later in October, but its clear it will develop into something
I think you really need to define clear aims and objectives. For example, will the group focus on stock improvement, bulk purchase of equipment for discount, mentoring of newbees joining, etc. If you don't have these, it will be a aimless talking shop and difficult to keep the interest going.
We have one here which was created a few years back by 2 friends. They used funding to buy equipment and members can use the extraction equipment. We have also secured use of a commercial grade kitchen with the community centre so extraction by members can be done in a suitable environment.... just in case environment health gets bored and want something to do...

Have an entrance fee. Maybe £50 to join and put all the money into equipment to share with a good set of rules as to use. Meet down the pub once every two months for a good old chinwag about bees.

Latest posts

Back