Form an orderley queue

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't know if these Flow Frames will be successful in the UK but I aim to find out for myself. As said before it will depend on the nectar flows. They won't be used if we have another summer like the last one!

I trust you'll post updates?
One thing that just occurred to me. How heavy would these be if they were full?
You can't drain them unless the honey is capped so how would you deal with a brood inspection. Would you have to take them out one by one?

The frames are the same size as a medium langstroth frame...so like a 12x14 frame. It looks like the cells are deeper than a wax comb might be...so they will be quite heavy in the box. As the Flow hive will be the only upright hive I will have...well apart from nucs etc....I don't think it will be too much. The best time to do an inspection would be after draining the Flow frames...but that may not fit in with inspections.
Still...as Finman says...a heavy hive will make me happy!
As regards updates...I am sure I will share the experience with you.

Ha ha....it was a PPI refund which paid for mine....so a treat for me. I couldn't have bought them otherwise. I would still have been interested though.
The concept is intriguing.
I haven't quite sorted out in my mind about how they are best used. I think in Australia they get big and long nectar flows...so draining the Flow frames allows the bees to continue to fill them I am not sure about this. I have been told by beekeepers that the bees need time and space to get the nectar to the point of capping. As in using several supers. I don't have enough experience of nectar flows where I live...so it is more difficult to predict how much space the bees will need. A langstroth is bigger than a BS National and the Flow Frames are deeps, the same as the brood frames.....so perhaps that is enough space...I don't know.
I am wondering where the best place would be to locate my hive to maximise the chance of a good nectar flow.

Finman is the man from whom to seek advice on that. There is a recent post from him somewhere in which he offers advice on finding good "pastures". If memory serves, it involved finding an OSR crop adjoining a berry fruit crop!

CVB

Ye of little faith!
I'll have you know that I extracted all my OSR honey without a problem last year...no solid frames for me.
However, the Flow frames can be soaked in warm water the same as wax frames...for those who are slow to tap it off...in fact you can even take the frames apart and reassemble.
It was interesting last year that a number of people who had OSR honey found that in their poly hives it was still liquid whereas in wooden hives with no insulation, the honey was crystallising. I have already been thinking about extra insulation for my Flow hive in anticipation of this being stored in the Flow frames.

However, the Flow frames can be soaked in warm water the same as wax frames...for those who are slow to tap it off...in fact you can even take the frames apart and reassemble.

So what's the point in that case?

Much cheaper, easier and less messy to use frames, wax comb and an extractor

So what's the point in that case?

Much cheaper, easier and less messy to use frames, wax comb and an extractor

The point...is that you can reuse the Flow frame after you have removed the crystallised honey...whereas, with honey crystallised in a wax comb...you have to sacrifice the comb.
Of course, the aim is to remove your honey whatever type of frame/ comb you use before it crystallises.
I really don't see the OSR as a problem. If you monitor the bees regularly...harvesting is simple..whether you use a Flow frame or wax comb.
You have set your mind against the Flow frame....I have no intention of changing your mind or defending the Flow...I am just interested in it and the fun of it.

I think those are the Chinese look alikes ..cheeky beggars are using a montage of the FlowHive videos and photos - we all knew it would happen !

Phil

You will be pleased to know that the Ebay ad for Chinese copycat Flow-frames has been taken down.

CVB

Phil

You will be pleased to know that the Ebay ad for Chinese copycat Flow-frames has been taken down.

CVB

Whilst I have no great axe to grind on the flow hive ..I do take issue with chinese knock offs using someone else's literature/photo's etc. Regardless of what the product is it's not good. I'll hazard a guess that they will be back on ebay with a different description within the week .. the people who make/sell these things in China don't really comply with any of the rest of the world's copyright or patent laws ... and a waste of time trying to force them or sue them ....

notice there is one on there at over £250 in auction at the moment.

Whilst I have no great axe to grind on the flow hive ..I do take issue with chinese knock offs using someone else's literature/photo's etc. Regardless of what the product is it's not good. I'll hazard a guess that they will be back on ebay with a different description within the week .. the people who make/sell these things in China don't really comply with any of the rest of the world's copyright or patent laws ... and a waste of time trying to force them or sue them ....
Forgive Me Father For Have Sinned, lol.. and i will also admit to being a Hippocratic at the time.
Anyway i got a load of thing's given too me by a friend who was selling them and made good money from it, he got caught and had to pay 2k to drop the case.
I tried again in my email addy. (Bad move) the American solicitors where onto me like a bad rash and i sold nowhere near as many. IT was all down to the Chinese copying something that was PATENTED

Last edited by a moderator:
Forgive Me Father For Have Sinned, lol.. and i will also admit to being a Hippocratic at the time.
Anyway i got a load of thing's given too me by a friend who was selling them and made good money from it, he got caught and had to pay 2k to drop the case.
I tried again in my email addy. (Bad move) the American solicitors where onto me like a bad rash and i sold nowhere near as many. IT was all down to the Chinese copying something that was PATENTED

Millet ... get your beak into this!

http://oneminuteago.wikia.com/wiki/Ludicrous_Patents_Office

Mytten da

I read somewhere that the patent is pending for the Flow Frames.....if so, the Chinese can do what they like....I would think.

I read somewhere that the patent is pending for the Flow Frames.....if so, the Chinese can do what they like....I would think.

Patent Pending
Tweet
DEFINITION of 'Patent Pending'

This is wording inventors use to let the public know that they have filed a patent application for their invention with the United States Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO). “Patent pending” indicates that a patent has not yet been granted and does not give the inventor any legal protection. It does notify the public that a patent application has been filed. If a competitor tries to imitate the invention and the original patent application is granted, the competitor could later be sued for patent infringement.

Read more: Patent Pending Definition | Investopedia http://www.investopedia.com/terms/p/patent-pending.asp#ixzz3zHXmrmPP
Follow us: Investopedia on Facebook

I am shocked that the inventors of this novel device have not rapidly pushed forward with a patent on their invention... can hardly be due to lack of funds!!

My time in a research department of a large broadcasting corporation produced many novel designs ( I bitch about my IP being stolen.. ) each and every one had a Patent taken out... and one in particular has made them a few bob ( and has saved quite a few lives... )

Splen!

Yeghes da

I thought that too Millet. You would think that they would have the patent in place. However, I can't remember where I read that so it could easily be out of date information. The trade mark was filed though.
I have to say that everything about the Flow Hive is well made and fits well. I can imagine that people unfamiliar with beekeeping and the equipment would scratch their heads a bit...but that is only lack of knowledge which is easily remedied by asking others. It is interesting that most of the posts on the Flow Hive forum are made by new beekeepers...only a few experienced beekeepers post. I don't think that is necessarily indicative of who bought the frames as there must be quite a few who were already beekeepers...who bought the Flows.
It is good though...that posters are willing to help by answering questions. Some of the people who tested the frames....post from time to time...about how the frames perform in the field.

Back