Form an orderley queue

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pete D

Drone Bee
Beekeeping Sponsor
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
50+. Double Std National & 14x12
Boy, those flow hives cost a lot.

I was shocked to see the second eBay listing for £500+ and that it cost the buyer over $700 Australian I guess.

I hate to say this but it's all looking a bit of a fad isn't it - and an expensive one at that!

It'll be interesting to see the selling price of the auction one.

Boy, those flow hives cost a lot.

I was shocked to see the second eBay listing for £500+ and that it cost the buyer over $700 Australian I guess.

I hate to say this but it's all looking a bit of a fad isn't it - and an expensive one at that!

Yes they are expensive....if you compare it to a cedar hive of comparable quality. It includes frames for the brood box and the Flow frames for the super. Reports and videos are beginning to come in from Australia from their harvesting using the Flow frames. I have to say that it is impressive. As to whether we shall get similar results in the UK... We have yet to see. Clearly it works but it will depend on nectar flows. It is innovation. I expect the vacuum cleaner was greeted with the same response...a waste of money, what's wrong with a broom and dustpan and brush, a fool and his money are easily separated and so on. I don't suppose there are many homes without a vacuum. The easiest course to follow is always the tried and tested one...but that stifles progress.

Reports and videos are beginning to come in from Australia from their harvesting using the Flow frames. I have to say that it is impressive. As to whether we shall get similar results in the UK... We have yet to see. .

I think your right with what you have said here and that will sum up the success of the flow hive frames. I can imagine where you have a tremendous flow, the bees will put it anywhere, and thus the flow hive frames will get filled - here in the UK we tend not to have the same impact flows, and thus perhaps the bees will be as picky of putting nectar in the flow hives frames as they are with drawn comb in supers sometimes.

I wish it success, as testing and trials in the bee world of new product and designs is what progression is made of, and what we all need.

Yes this has happened before but the person was made to withdraw them by eBay. Apparently, they are similar but inferior quality and some integral parts of the design were missing. I expect eventually they will crack it and the frames will be offered at a bit less than the genuine article.
I guess it is easy to be jocular about a new idea, especially if it radically different from usual practise. It is infinitely more difficult to overcome ones natural tendency to be traditional and resistant to change. I don't know if these Flow Frames will be successful in the UK but I aim to find out for myself. As said before it will depend on the nectar flows. They won't be used if we have another summer like the last one!

It is a clever idea, however, for me harvesting the honey has never been a chore rather an event.

If they made a self cleaning hive I'd be on the waiting list for one!

And if we have a summer like the one before that folk with Flow frames better have ordinary frames as well.
If somebody gave me a Flow I'd try it, but I couldn't afford to pay that sort of silly money.

Ha ha....it was a PPI refund which paid for mine....so a treat for me. I couldn't have bought them otherwise. I would still have been interested though.
The concept is intriguing.
I haven't quite sorted out in my mind about how they are best used. I think in Australia they get big and long nectar flows...so draining the Flow frames allows the bees to continue to fill them I am not sure about this. I have been told by beekeepers that the bees need time and space to get the nectar to the point of capping. As in using several supers. I don't have enough experience of nectar flows where I live...so it is more difficult to predict how much space the bees will need. A langstroth is bigger than a BS National and the Flow Frames are deeps, the same as the brood frames.....so perhaps that is enough space...I don't know.
I am wondering where the best place would be to locate my hive to maximise the chance of a good nectar flow.

Ha ha....it was a PPI refund which paid for mine....so a treat for me. I couldn't have bought them otherwise. I would still have been interested though.
The concept is intriguing.
I haven't quite sorted out in my mind about how they are best used. I think in Australia they get big and long nectar flows...so draining the Flow frames allows the bees to continue to fill them I am not sure about this. I have been told by beekeepers that the bees need time and space to get the nectar to the point of capping. As in using several supers. I don't have enough experience of nectar flows where I live...so it is more difficult to predict how much space the bees will need. A langstroth is bigger than a BS National and the Flow Frames are deeps, the same as the brood frames.....so perhaps that is enough space...I don't know.
I am wondering where the best place would be to locate my hive to maximise the chance of a good nectar flow.

PPI? As has been identified, yet another one for the mugs that has been dealt with. Flowhives are another in the queue?

I bid £10 for one - and was outbid. I would collect at that postage price.

I don't expect to win one...and it is unlikely to be warm enough here in summer to use one.. unless we have a re-run of 1976.

Latest posts

Back