For the good for the hive...crappy deal for the drones

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
24 + a few nucs....this has to stop!
I have noticed for the last couple of days the first drones of the season poking their heads outside the hive.....and they are not looking bright! poor buggers, they end the year in forced exile, die of cold and starvation and the first drones of the season take the full force of varroa. Is this usually the case due to the lack of winter brood?

Varroa has a preference for drone brood, so the first frame is going to get it. However, as HM says ineffective varroa treatment. Treat ASAP.

Varroa has a preference for drone brood, so the first frame is going to get it. However, as HM says ineffective varroa treatment. Treat ASAP.

I have been scratching my head with what to use now. I haven't got a varrox so it's between MAQs or apivar which I have. I don't want to use apiguard as it will affect my honey.

Spotted my first Drones appearing too, no dead ones or ropey looking ones yet but I did treat with Oxalic vapour.
I suspect I still have some Veroa as they never really stopped brooding but levels are low, as others have said unavoidable unless they are kept in check.

I have been scratching my head with what to use now. I haven't got a varrox so it's between MAQs or apivar which I have. I don't want to use apiguard as it will affect my honey.

You could make a varrox easily....get a travel water heater which has a lead for using with a car cigarette plug. Remove plug and make terminals to fit the battery. A 12 volt hobby battery. A copper cap...and of course some oxalic acid crystals. Bet it only takes you a few minutes to make it....2 grams per hive...away to go!

You could make a varrox easily....get a travel water heater which has a lead for using with a car cigarette plug. Remove plug and make terminals to fit the battery. A 12 volt hobby battery. A copper cap...and of course some oxalic acid crystals. Bet it only takes you a few minutes to make it....2 grams per hive...away to go!

I have seen a few threads on it, seems simple to make. Even if they don't last long at £6 a pop you can afford to replace often!!

I have seen a few threads on it, seems simple to make. Even if they don't last long at £6 a pop you can afford to replace often!!

Give it a go...you know you want to!....then you can report back how well it works and whether it lasts for long. Feedback is good.

I saw a recent thread on here. Someone made a really similar one using an old glow plug and speaker cable. I will make a cheap with a modified bottom tray to use under the omf as a quick fix and may invest in more durable model later on in the year maybe with another local beek.

Please make sure you use the right protective equipment if you decide to vaporise oxalic acid.

What's wrong with oxalic trickling? Dirt cheap and really easy to do. Doesn't affect sealed brood, but neither does vapourizing. I bought trickle 2 from Thornes, now I have the handy bottle I can buy by the litre from anyone.

Some people will also use a single treatment of a thymol remedy, this will at least get some emerging mites, and if it's on and off well before supers go on, shouldn't affect the honey.

Last edited:
Please make sure you use the right protective equipment if you decide to vaporise oxalic acid.

Hi yes I would. I quite enjoy my life at the moment and seen as I have only one I try to look after it!! I have all the gear already thanks BJB

Trickle, sublimation, thymol based...enough options to confuse a simpleton like me! I thought trickle did damage brood hence why it is used in December-January?

Trickle is a single treatment in the depths of winter in an attempt to eradicate varroa on the adult bees. It's effectiveness depends on there being no varroa lurking within the brood cells hence it is most effective when there is a brood break.
Vaping however is a multiple (three) treatment at 5 or 6 day intervals to eradicate varroa on adult bees and subsequent emerging brood.
Hope this makes sense!

Do not be a skinflint... buy a Varrox vaporiser and some Oxallic acid anhydride and vaporise the varroa away..... mucking around with sparking plugs is dangerous.. you could burn yourself... and as said before take some sensible precautions before vaporising OA

Winter OA trickle is an outmoded leftover from the last decade... things have moved on...
OMG we will be talking matchsticks and Flow's hives again soon!

Yeghes da

Hi yes I would. I quite enjoy my life at the moment and seen as I have only one I try to look after it!! I have all the gear already thanks BJB

Trickle, sublimation, thymol based...enough options to confuse a simpleton like me! I thought trickle did damage brood hence why it is used in December-January?

Hi jeff33, Hope all the gear includes a respiratory mask for fumes, if you consider vaping. H&S requirement for using one for acetic acid!

Latest posts

Back