for the doubting thomas's

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
:icon_204-2: you actually get to see the sun!
Thought it rained in Wales most of the time... well it seems to whwnever I visit!!
:sorry:
Yeghes da

We can see you over the other side of the channel...it's raining with you too!
We get your weather about 30 minutes later.

Really interesting pargyle, thanks for the link.

I spoke with a Spanish bee keeper with a couple of hundred hives earlier this year and he was telling me about Ley lines. I was quite cynical at the time.

He swore that the best hives were at the intersection of ley lines and power pylons.

I may have a go at dowsing!
He had some hives inside the base of pylons and these were his most productive hives.

So are mine....but they still store towards the northern side in the brood box. Perhaps they sense magnetic north....or or align their stores according to the Suns movement across the sky.....but the nectar is stored in the super centrally to begin with.

I always assumed that they preferred to place the brood best on the warm side of the hive, the side which receives most sun on it during the day.

Bees make the brood nest near the entrance and honey storage away from the entrance. I've had wintering bees most often near the southern side of the hive regardless of orientation of the entrance.

Really interesting pargyle, thanks for the link.

I spoke with a Spanish bee keeper with a couple of hundred hives earlier this year and he was telling me about Ley lines. I was quite cynical at the time.

He swore that the best hives were at the intersection of ley lines and power pylons.

I may have a go at dowsing!
He had some hives inside the base of pylons and these were his most productive hives.

Well ... it's an old thread but nothing has changed my mind ... it costs nothing to try for yourself .. interesting about the electricity pylons .. I wonder if they create a force field around them that the bees find attractive ...

Aluminium foil hat on with electrodes .... incoming expected !!

Well ... it's an old thread but nothing has changed my mind ... it costs nothing to try for yourself .. interesting about the electricity pylons .. I wonder if they create a force field around them that the bees find attractive ...

Aluminium foil hat on with electrodes .... incoming expected !!

nonsense bees fly VFR at 5m+ if you ever piloted a light aircraft you follow landmarks often roads or railways, bees just follow the landmarks that are significant from their altitude. Its either that you need to dowse Egham high St as that's a honeybee flight lane at about 5m up.

nonsense bees fly VFR at 5m+ if you ever piloted a light aircraft you follow landmarks often roads or railways, bees just follow the landmarks that are significant from their altitude. Its either that you need to dowse Egham high St as that's a honeybee flight lane at about 5m up.

Believe what you wish Derek ... it costs nothing to try and it works. Your loss. Not everything in this world needs a scientific explanation ...

How do you know it's leylines you're detecting and not something else in the ground.
Don't get me wrong I was convinced by an old boy 40 years ago about dowsing, he was a plumber and used a pair of rods to find an underground pipe that our spring water ran through across a 3 acre field. We only dug a hole the size of the spade and found it right where he got the reaction.

How do you know it's leylines you're detecting and not something else in the ground.
Don't get me wrong I was convinced by an old boy 40 years ago about dowsing, he was a plumber and used a pair of rods to find an underground pipe that our spring water ran through across a 3 acre field. We only dug a hole the size of the spade and found it right where he got the reaction.

I've watched a waterboard bloke dowsed to find the line of the water pipe.

TC Lethbridge was into dowsing - books:
The Power of the Pendulum
The Essential T.C. Lethbridge

Aberrations in the Earths Field with an Unknown Causation [to Science] ......

AEFUCSs....... f o r t u n a t e l y..... AKA Leylines

Works well for me and many others who have the gift of Dowsing!

Yeghes da

Well ... the honest answer is that in many cases you don't. I've followed a line through my garden apiary and up the communal drive and it passes almost directly under a walnut tree in my neighbours garden which must be at least 70 or 80 years old and it then passes through his hedge ... swarms in consecutive years in the walnut tree and in his hedge exactly where the line is. It can't be a water main oir any other services as our estate was built on the gardens of three large victorian mansions - I know where the services are for our houses and they are nowhere near the line.

But .. in unknown locations it could be services or underground streams.

Always amazes me then all you dowsers never went for the million dollars that used to be on offer for proving you could do it. Altruistic....i doubt it.

Their web site now says "every year we have spent a great deal of time dealing with claims ranging from yet another dowsing claim to some VERY eccentric and untestable claims. The overwhelming majority refused to fill out the application or even state a claim that can be tested. Some of them show up in person and demand to be tested while they wait. We can no longer justify the resources to interact with these people". Says it all really.
http://web.randi.org/home/jref-status

Last edited:
Always amazes me then all you dowsers never went for the million dollars that used to be on offer for proving you could do it. Altruistic....i doubt it.

Their web site now says "every year we have spent a great deal of time dealing with claims ranging from yet another dowsing claim to some VERY eccentric and untestable claims. The overwhelming majority refused to fill out the application or even state a claim that can be tested. Some of them show up in person and demand to be tested while they wait. We can no longer justify the resources to interact with these people". Says it all really.
http://web.randi.org/home/jref-status

VERY GOOD.....:icon_204-2:
at least it fits the OP's thread title!!!

Yeghes da

He probably already knew where it was and thought he'd pull a youngens leg

Let's see how a scientific hypothesis turns out -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_VAasVXtCOI

I particularly like the part where he talks about dowsers and their anecdotal stories.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back