All the Gear No Idea - A Beginners Journey

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
manged with a bit of a struggle to find the Queens and mark them with a cage, not so sure I didn't damage them as never done it before so was ham fisted, speared a few workers, didn't put the cage on enough initially so couldn't get the queen marked and then maybe too hard, time will tell. I doubt whether I am the 1st or be the last to damage a Queen doing this for the 1st time.
One think you may want to consider for the future is that it may be prudent not to risk damaging your queens until there are replacement ones readily available i.e. a bit later in the year.

One think you may want to consider for the future is that it may be prudent not to risk damaging your queens until there are replacement ones readily available i.e. a bit later in the year.

Thanks for that will bear in mind next time I do it, depends on how much damage done this time.

Pictures from Monday

Couple of the Brood Boxes

FullBB.jpg

BroodBox.jpg

Couple of Frames

FullFrame.jpg

AnotherFullFrame.jpg

All the discussions about Queen Cells and Cups is a little bit panic inducing for us newbies so plent of Cups (queen / Play) nothing in them though and got rid of them

QueenPlayCup.jpg

YACup.jpg

During last weeks inspections by the Bee Inspector he mention taht in this weather the bees tend to draw odd shaped comb and make it Drone, plenty of examples here I think, also plenty of "brace comb"?

BroodStoresBrace.jpg

OddDroneComb.jpg

NewDrawnComb.jpg

MoreOddComb.jpg

JustStartingOdd.jpg

BraceComb.jpg

AnotherQueenCup.jpg

First Time I have seen this but caught a couple of bees emerging, drones and workers

QCDroneEmerging.jpg

DronesEmerging.jpg

Lastly but not least the Queens

Hive 1

QueenH1.jpg

Hive 2

QueenH2.jpg

Hive 3

QueenH3.jpg

Hive 4

QueenH4.jpg

As always any comments suggestions welcome.

Last edited:
Well weather forecast is not good, so took the opportunity to have a quick look today while sun came out.

The good news is all the Queens seemed to have survived my very heavy handed clumsy attempt at marking. It was still a bit on the cold side so only a very quick look, usual play cups one did look a bit suspicious but left it alone.

All hives have grown considerably and all the foundation is being drawn to some extent, we flipped them around a bit on Monday. The strongest hive was on 10+ frames or so put another brood box on and moved one of the frames into centre and new foundation into bottom box. Mostly the reason we looked today as it was getting there on Monday and with rain forecast wasn't sure if we get another chance in the immediate future, so decided to err on the side of caution. The other 3 aren't that far behind now, with plenty of brood and stores, left the Neopoll on, well whats left of it. By the looks of the weather forecast looks like even have to buy some more.

No pics due to temperature today.

Well a decent day earlier in the week so got a chance to have a look. The colonies are growing strongly most of the Neopoll has gone and usual play cups etc, Queens still home and laying well.

We have put 2 of the hives onto double brood and put 1:1 Feed on, thanks to our mentor. The other 2 are not far behind and will probably be done early next week. Its getting a bit buzzy in the apiary when the sun comes out, no hassle from the bees though.

On the down side, we have uninvited guests again and this time decided to do some artwork on the hives, all I can do is sand it off, although its an anxious walk to the site now. If the bees are destroyed by these people we will not be replacing anytime in the near future.

Pics

503bcf07544984e52aee616cc984caa9_2061.jpg

48cbb2474f43c4c0040d0c425d48e6ba_2062.jpg

9d049645e23a9d8828ce33c224fe90b2_2063.jpg

65d2430d4c601769ed655ac38614802c_2064.jpg

Last edited:
On the down side, we have uninvited guests again and this time decided to do some artwork on the hives, all I can do is sand it off, although its an anxious walk to the site now. If the bees are destroyed by these people we will not be replacing anytime in the near future.
Sickening!

Today put the another brood box on the two other hives so now all on double brood with top box full of foundation and one frame of brood and bees.

The first one we did earlier in the week has taken all the syrup down and has about 5 frames in the process of being drawn / nearly drawn so getting on with it. The other a day or two later has 3.

Although sunny today quite windy so temp never got right up.

Well first really warm day since we had the bees and the place was literally buzzing.

Inspected all the brood boxes as wanted to jiggle frames around. The strongest one only has a frame and a half left to draw, the others range between 2 and 4.

Must admit it was a little daunting today with so many bees, I killed a fair few with my clumsy hands, putting top brood box back on etc. Plenty of brood at all stages plenty of stores, stacks coming in, all the syrup was gone. Queens still in situ, play cups but nothing else. Also took out the entrance blocks as it was a bit conjested.

If this keeps up as forecast won't be that long until put supers on.

Glorious weather through the week so had a look on Wednesday and put supers on the hives and checked them again today. One has drawn all the comb and another very close to it. Only looked at two today as had other jobs to do. Put another super on the strongest one and will put another on the other tomorrow and look at the remaining hives then.

There was some brace comb on one of teh hives that joined two frames together where it split it may have been a Queen Cup that was charged but to our ineperienced eyes it was hard to tell as split and broken up, there wasn't any others so just put it back together, I hope not as that is the strongest hive. Brood boxes are full of brood at all stages and plenty of stores, capped and uncapped, pollen etc. The population has grown massively very hard to see anything on the frames with so many bees, but still killing too many through being too clumsy.

Further to the unwanted vistors the site now has a new perimeter fence along that side, better and higher so will be planting it up this week with Himilayan Giant.

We have also branded all the boxes and some frames and started to treat with Boiled Linseed Oil. Makes the hive look very different and brings out all the grain, will put a pic up tomorrow it will take a few weeks to get them all done as need to switch them around and sand the paint off.

Having originally bought good strong over wintered nucs, seeing whats happening now to how they were a mere few weeks ago we can understand how the 2nd year is the hardest, especially for those that are just getting or about to get theirs. I get the feeling we may be in for an "interesting" few weeks, ah well in for a penny.

One observation being new to beekeeping and only really having watched them on flowers and bumblebees, I have always thought of bees as slow, hovering and buzzing around fairly gently. I noticed when walking to the apiary the other day them flying in and out over the fence, never realised they were so fast, they are more like spitfires than helicopters.

i've used raw linseed on my cedar hive, what's the difference end result between raw and boiled - anyone know.

They are fast aren't they, give you a whack when they fly into you lol

Well checked the other two hives today and made my first big mistake. I maanged to damage the queen in Hive 3 between 2 frames being a bit heavy handed, new as soon as I had done it, so checked on her and did catch her, check if she is still alive tomorrow, if there is a bright side then she was as this point the worst performing queen. I doubt it will be the last I / we damage, just have to see what happens and manage the hive accordingly, but must admit to being very disapointed with myself for such a stupid mistake.

The other hive which was behind the rest, is now in front of the rest with a hell of a lot of brood so put another super on, its like she is on steriods.

Well had a quick look through the week, have put a 2nd super on Hive 2 and a 3rd on Hives 1 & 4 who are really motoring along, if they keep going like this I am going to need a box to stand on shortly.

Took a peek at hive 3 the day after I damaged the queen and couldn't see her, another quick look yesterday and noticed plenty of QC's on the frames I look at only a couple. The bad May has meant not a lot of Queens kicking about so just have to manage through it. We will downsize to 1 BB and take it from there. We are obviously on a fairly steep learning curve, but its fun.

Picture of the treated hive which we think looks great with grain showing and different colours, still have to do the rest.

Picture-022.jpg

Last edited:
Did an inspection today, the Queenless hive having many queen cells, capped.

Hive 2 & 4 were OK just ticking along although 4 now has had 3rd super added.

Hive 1 decided it was going to have charged QC's had about 4 or 5, so made up a box with brood, bees and charged cells, left 2 open cells intact put in a couple of frames of stores and put foundation in original hive to replace missing comb. Not so sure did it correctly but thought best get something do and can always adjust with advice from here. Didn't really want to take the risk of losing a very good queen. As on double brood seems a lot of different ways of doing it so any advice would be appreciated.

All the fun of the fair.

Community Gardens of this type seem to be springing up all over the North West with beehives being put upon them - all doing the green thing - a good thing! I read up on bees for about 2 years prior to getting a hive. I then joined a beekeeping club locally (there is the Manchester Beekeeping Group which means in Heaton Park (google it) and also Oldham Beekeepers of which I am a member (google it). I think it is imperative that you join a local beekeeping group and have the advice of a mentor/group of experienced people. I didn't do a 3 day beekeeping course (currently on offer) and wouldn't advise anyone to do this over the option of joining a beekeeping group and gaining knowledge of an apiary ALL year round. Please think about this. It will relieve a lot of anxiety for you and hopefully save the bees stress and anxiety. All the best with your venture.

"thepliedes" thanks we are actually in Stockport Branch.

Took a quick look yesterday as weather was OK.

Hive 1 that we did the AS in was OK and put new foundation in has drawn quite a bit of it, Queen still there so far!

Checked the AS quite a bit of the brood has emerged, cells still uncapped, I wondered in our inexperience whether we shook the frames and damaged the cells, just have to wait and see, if thats the case we will either queen or reunite.

Queenless one still going along as usual, not agressive in any way which has got me thinking given the posts on here.

I was a bit concerned about 4 as the queen is a bit of a star having caught up and overtaken the rest, thought there might be Queen Cells in there but everything was fine.

We bought 3 poly nucs for back just in case and probably make a few nucs up to overwinter later in the year.

After that good couple of weeks the Hives haven't really moved on a tap this last week in terms of honey or comb, bit frustrating a weird year to start, forecast not great either.

No pics as it was overcast and just wanted to get it done and dusted in as little time as possible.

Took a look at a couple today, but the AS was the most interesting.

Looked in and cell was open seen the Queen, lighter than the bees decent size, not experienced to tell whether he is already mated or not.

Continued to check through seen another Queen, although smaller and different colour again. (Tried to take pictures but didn't turn out well). I was surprised to see 2 alive and a bit of a loss at what to do, I did make the AS with a lot of frames because I used the opportunity to move some older frames across. So I put the 2nd smaller Queen in a nuc and added some drawn frames and a decent amount of bees on the frames from AS. I have left it closed overnight.

The two seemed quite happy in the Hive, is this for insurance purposes, or were they going to swarm (cast). Have I done the right thing by putting in a Nuc, is she worth it being quite small. Will try to post pics if I can get decent ones.

Any advice / observations appreciated. It was done on 4th June and they were uncapped then but a few days old.

Took a look at a couple today, but the AS was the most interesting.

Continued to check through seen another Queen

Is one of these the original queen?

It might appear that they were superceding and you left the queen in the part with queen cells and they have simply continued. I read your previous posts, but at a glance they did not sem to be describing an A/S....

Sorry I am not clear (Rab?).

On June the 4th Inspection on Hive 1 (strongest Hive / double brood) we discovered a couple of charged Queen Cells in normal position bottom of frame. I think I made the beginners error of leaving them too many stores in the BB. I did an AS (probably wrongly) and made up a Nuc / Brood Box with frames and Bees leaving 2 open charged cells and put is aside (Hive 5 now). I took the opportunity of renewing old comb in Hive 1 by giving them some new foundation.

Checked Hive 1 the original Queen is still there all the foundation is drawn and life seems "normal".

On opening the new hive 5, both cells were open and seen 1st Queen, then as post another smaller queen, which I have now put in a nuc with frames and bees, Hive 6.

Hope this makes more sense and please don't worry about being "gruff" with your advice, I'm not the sensitive type. ;)

kevrhcfag,

Your Hive one. You are lucky they did not swarm, if these were swarm cells, as you did not A/S the hive - you simply split off a portion with the two queen cells and so simply weakened the original colony. They will likely go into swarm mode again, if that is what it was, if they again get crowded, or back up to full strength.

You did not emulate the swarming process for the colony ie queen to new home, little brood (would 'naturally' be none, of course), lots of comb building to do - you just removed five frames, some of the bees and a little brood, I am guessing.

Seems to me as though it should have been supered and some stores, or stores frames, in the brood box 'bruised', leading to them moving those stores into the super in a fairly short short time scale (more room then, for brooding in the brood box as opposed to 'storing' in there).

The split. It is less usual to leave a split with more than one queen cell (but that would usually lead to a cast, if anything, should the split be crowded at emergence).

Were there only four queen cells in the whole affair? If so which box? If so they may still have been in superceding mode in hive one, getting ready to swarm later with a young queen.

It is far better, I will add, to discuss just the one item in a thread. Describing hives 2and 4 simply make for further unanswered questions - like why was one colony with single brood and 3 supers and this one apparently (by omission of information) on a double brood and no(?) super.

An outsider option - they were still in superceding mode in hive 5 and the bees tolerated two queens on emergence - just guessing here as this situation would be very uncommon - instead of one killing the other.

Another more likely scenario may be that you actually opened them right at emergence time and caused the second queen to be allowed to emerge - it doesn't take long if she has been held in the cell, and smoking or roughly removing the roof/crownboard may have diverted the bees' attention and freed her.

So a question as to their motives. I reckon they were about to throw a small cast from the nuc, as soon as the first emerged queen was developed adequately to fly or the weather was suitable, but you went in just before it occurred?

The other alternative would be rare, but one can never tell, where bees are concerned. I'm only guessing here, as the dates and information supplied could indicate either of those scenarios, the cast being my favoured choice.

I'm certainly not 'gruff', btw. Just honest and to the point at times, but usually with a well reasoned argument to explain clearly to you newbies. Some might see it as sharp, condescending, impolite, rude etc, but they are likely the 'non-thinkers' with thin skins and easily upset egos. Phew, glad we have some on the forum who are not like them!

I will only set out to be sharp when replying to an id--t who is not prepared to listen, or in response to someone having a go at me, first. I seem to be fair game for quite a few of those, but mostly they show themselves in 'true colours' elsewhere.

They are often the ones who tend to snipe and run around in packs (or flocks?), hoping to get credence by force of numbers (yes, they know who they are) and if you are around long enough, and follow enough threads, the trends will become clear.

In this case, you have made an unusual observation and I have attempted to explain the only two alternatives I can think of. There may be others out there with experience of this, but I've never had it just like this. I would not, of course, normally leave two cells in a split, nor open around emergence time, nor hunt through the box if I did!

But there, you would not have even expected a response from the non-thinkers, would you? :) (and I am not thinking, here, of the less experienced beeks out there that actually want to learn)

Regards, RAB (my initials - the oliver90 part is a 60+ year old tractor)

Back