What excellent service!!!

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good stuff Ultrabee, when you need it.
Make it up with Invert if you can or it goes hard. I've seen a video of Mike Palmer adding vegetable oil to keep it soft. I tried that and it works but I have to add that I gave it to a colony that had Nosema and when I sampled the bees there were oil droplets in the faeces. Whether this was because they had nosema and couldn't handle the food or it was the oil anyway.....I don't know

I use sunflower oil with no problems. I store it in a food grade pail when mixed, with a piece of grease proof paper placed on top of the mix - and it never hardens or goes off (mould).

I gave on 24th Feb as all my jumbo langs were strong - 6-8 frames of bees - and judging by the temperature - brooding. My single colony of third generation carnies is on 8 frames and appears very strong...

Suspect Hivemaker needs to wield the machete.......

Just to prevent the confirmation of Godwin's Law in this thread. Heading that way.

Not a bad thread, despite a lot of drift, when on topics.

As soon as it gets here. It's to make up for a temporary shortfall in natural pollen .
It seems only my home apiary is really affected but it took the full hit from 70mph winds giving temps with wind cbill of -20 to -27°c according to wind chill calculators.
Where there was hundreds of gorse bushes in flower now there's a few bushes with not even a handful of open flowers. If it did that to gorse, you can imagine what it did to less hardy. I'm not using it to bring them on so much as trying not to have them set back. The difference in pollen loads coming in between home and out apiaries today was graphic.

The same has happened here with not a yellow flower to be seen, the snow drops however seem to have benefited from the snow as they have flowered in mass compared to previous years, i have never seen the bees forage on them but this year they are all over them, maybe that is through the gorse not having any flowers.

I use sunflower oil with no problems. I store it in a food grade pail when mixed, with a piece of grease proof paper placed on top of the mix - and it never hardens or goes off (mould).

I gave on 24th Feb as all my jumbo langs were strong - 6-8 frames of bees - and judging by the temperature - brooding. My single colony of third generation carnies is on 8 frames and appears very strong...

Have you used pollen sub in previous years? I've only been keeping bees in north staffs for a few years and the season seems to take longer to get going than east Yorkshire. By my reckoning you'll have flying bees early April, how does that normally fit in with your forage?

As soon as it gets here. It's to make up for a temporary shortfall in natural pollen .
It seems only my home apiary is really affected but it took the full hit from 70mph winds giving temps with wind cbill of -20 to -27°c according to wind chill calculators.
Where there was hundreds of gorse bushes in flower now there's a few bushes with not even a handful of open flowers. If it did that to gorse, you can imagine what it did to less hardy. I'm not using it to bring them on so much as trying not to have them set back. The difference in pollen loads coming in between home and out apiaries today was graphic.

Thanks. Interesting to see how you get on

Have you used pollen sub in previous years? I've only been keeping bees in north staffs for a few years and the season seems to take longer to get going than east Yorkshire. By my reckoning you'll have flying bees early April, how does that normally fit in with your forage?

I live on the Northern edge of Biddulph so LOTS of trees # - think Biddulph Grange Gardens (N Trust) 0.25miles away, hawthorn, willow , more willow all April/May. Zero arable land within a 3 mile radius so after May dependent upon weather and Lime (Grange Gardens) , blackberry, etc. Usual summer weather is daily rain June/July :)

Started using pollen sub last year - need to get bees going for Spring flow - which appears the major one - unless weather is good for lime. Colonies appear stronger going into winter/exiting.

#beech, birch, sequoia, oak, chestnut, birch, willow, hawthorn,firs,- some over 100 years old..plus usual garden fruit trees..Growing Korean bee trees for autumn pollen.

Last edited:
I live on the Northern edge of Biddulph so LOTS of trees # - think Biddulph Grange Gardens (N Trust) 0.25miles away, hawthorn, willow , more willow all April/May. Zero arable land within a 3 mile radius so after May dependent upon weather and Lime (Grange Gardens) , blackberry, etc. Usual summer weather is daily rain June/July :)

Started using pollen sub last year - need to get bees going for Spring flow - which appears the major one - unless weather is good for lime. Colonies appear stronger going into winter/exiting.

#beech, birch, sequoia, oak, chestnut, birch, willow, hawthorn,firs,- some over 100 years old..plus usual garden fruit trees..Growing Korean bee trees for autumn pollen.

Ah, makes sense. I'm more arable so outside of OSR tends to be blackberry and dandelion.

Suspect Hivemaker needs to wield the machete.......

Just to prevent the confirmation of Godwin's Law in this thread. Heading that way.

Not a bad thread, despite a lot of drift, when on topics.

He just has, unpleasant nonsense removed.

Well done. Yours is not an easy task at times.

Believe it or not i have been a Moderator on a Hunting site and that was easy compared to this place, the amount of old grumpy people who have forgotten life skills and people skills is unbelievable..
Hive Maker needs donations sent to him intravenously.. :spy:

Latest posts

Back