Food Hygiene

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

moby

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Does anyone have information on processing honey and selling from your back door in terms of do's and don'ts....

Do I need a certificate in food hygiene to sell my honey?

No you don't need anything like that but there are strict regulations on weights and measures and also on labeling. Google honey labeling regulations. Size of print of certain bits are very important. Weights and measures is basically don't under sell the weight disclosed on the jar in grammes.
In your own interests I would advise only to use new jars and not ones given back to you that may have been used to clean paint brushes! ALWAYS use new lids.
Apart from that go for it!!! (Unless anyone else tells you anything different of course!)

Hi Moby,

The BBKA advice is quite helpful as a starting point...

http://************************/files/selling_honey_B10.pdf

The key thing is always to be able to prove that you have used due diligence. If you can produce a HACCP (Hazards and Critical control points) and show you have risk assessed each part of the process then you are unlikely to have any legal problems. Obviously, it's not enough just to do a risk assessment then stick it in a folder and forget about it - you have to put it into practice. To this end it's worth having a documented SSW (safe system of work).
A hygiene cert is worth having too. You can do them online for around £25.
It may sound like a lot to do but it only really takes a short time to sort all that out and you can then be sure that you are all above board.

Sorry, doesn't like the link. Go to the BBKA website and search "selling honey"

Remember.... it is AS illegal to sell heavy as it is to sell light!

PH

Remember you should register with environmental health as well as they will want to check out your honey handling and processing place (kitchen). They are very help full also register with trading standards as a food producer. You are better off getting in touch with them, rather than them turning up on your doorstep.

I would only question whether you need to sell at the door with the produce from 2 hives. Once friends and family get a taste of your honey you probably won't be able to provide enough to keep them happy. I need about 200 jars a year just for friends and family. When I worked in an office it was at least twice that.

Back