Fondant v syrup

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Previous years I have made up & fed syrup. It’s a faff!
Does anyone just feed fondant from the outset.
I was thinking of putting on say 5kg and leaving them to it… job done!
Thoughts, does it work ok?

now this is potentially a life changing thread for month of sept

what are the downsides....inability to 'preserve' sugar water by using thymol (and potentially aid reduction of nosema)?

anything else?

now this is potentially a life changing thread for month of sept
and a quantum shift for the forum - can you imagine not having the annual 1:1 2:1/how to mix heavy syrup debate to brighten our lives?

Where is a good place to get bulk fondant at a good price? I’ve seen the Bako site but there are no prices and a considerable number of fondants to choose from leaving me quite confused :)

Where is a good place to get bulk fondant at a good price? I’ve seen the Bako site but there are no prices and a considerable number of fondants to choose from leaving me quite confused :)
I buy it from my local baker at £14 for 12kg box. I just collect it with my bread and doughnuts. They also give me used food grade buckets that all their various fillings come in.

I buy it from my local baker at £14 for 12kg box. I just collect it with my bread and doughnuts. They also give me used food grade buckets that all their various fillings come in.
Unfortunately our local baker closed years ago. I’ll ask around though. Nice price though. Slightly more than raw sugar. Beats the Amazon £27 for 12.5kg

Have a chat with your local Bako rep you should be able to get them down to a price of £15/12.5kg. They deliver free to me on a Tuesday for a min order of £150

We are quite taken by candipolline [from Becky's Bees] though it's pricey -- two hives have been rescued from what must have been severe hunger problems in the past two years [June] even when we were feeding syrup. to combat the undoubted June gap here [even with all the lovely gardens in Cromarty!] The yellow stuff lies just above the frame tops and must give off a pretty good pollen smell as a beelazarus effect seemed to take over....and also all our 5 hives survived last winter seemingly very well with mainly candipolline, cp, as feed -- some ordinary fondabee when our c p ran out......

We are quite taken by candipolline [from Becky's Bees] though it's pricey -- two hives have been rescued from what must have been severe hunger problems in the past two years [June] even when we were feeding syrup. to combat the undoubted June gap here [even with all the lovely gardens in Cromarty!] The yellow stuff lies just above the frame tops and must give off a pretty good pollen smell as a beelazarus effect seemed to take over....and also all our 5 hives survived last winter seemingly very well with mainly candipolline, cp, as feed -- some ordinary fondabee when our c p ran out......
The bees do like it and it does smell nice but there’s BO pollen in it. A cheaper way of getting g bees to gulp syrup down is to put one drop of lemongrass oil in a jerry can of invert. Sends them nuts.

Waste of money for the small protein content. Buy 12.5 Kg blocks of bakers fondant. Either direct from suppliers ( carriage costs) or as I do get your local Baker to order in for you. My bees take it down no bother

Back