Fondant or 2:1 syrup

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peadarg

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Hello fellow beekeepers,

Would I be better off feeding my bees fondant or 2:1 syrup at this time of year? What are the pros and cons of either?
Thank you in advance,
Peter

What’s the forecast for Dublin?
We have 15 in the day and 8 at night here in west wales. I’ve finished feeding. If I had to feed from scratch now I’d use invert and bang it in as fast as I could.
Do your bees need much?

The ' general' rule is 2:1 autumn and fondant for emergencies at end of winter if long wet and cold.
There are exceptions to that rule including preferences. Some only feed fondant. Some never!
Invert is quicker and easier but more expensive.

I am feeding most of mine fondant as I find it’s easier to carry to all my out apiaries. I cut the 12.5kg block into about 10 slabs, wrap them in pallet wrap or cling film and put them directly onto the top bars after unwrapping the underside.
My crown boards all have a 50mm rim on the upper side so I just invert these over the slabs.
I find can feed fondant at any time of the year.

Attachments

• 727BCDCB-7335-4EAC-98AF-3329EDAA83A6.jpeg
    727BCDCB-7335-4EAC-98AF-3329EDAA83A6.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 0
What’s the forecast for Dublin?
We have 15 in the day and 8 at night here in west wales. I’ve finished feeding. If I had to feed from scratch now I’d use invert and bang it in as fast as I could.
Do your bees need much?
Thank you for your reply. They have a good bit of stores but I just want to make sure they have enough. Temperature is about the same in Dublin for the next week anyway.

Is it true bees can not store fondant. They can only consume it? Where as with syrup they can store it? Would it not be better to give them syrup instead at this time? Thank you all for your feedback 👍

Is it true bees can not store fondant. They can only consume it? Where as with syrup they can store it? Would it not be better to give them syrup instead at this time? Thank you all for your feedback 👍

Given that David Evans feeds fondant rather than syrup to his bees for the winter I think we can reasonably safely assume that they will store it.

James

Yet some people insist they feed fondant so they can spot if it gets into the supers!
I once heard a bee feed supplier at a convention trying to convince people it was safe to put fondant on the crown boards during the season as a 'just in case' measure to avoid starvation as they wouldn't store it.

My mini nucs are fed fondant all year. Combs are full -ish of fondant honey.
Not only do bees store it, they make comb with it.

Latest posts

Back